Firebird Nation: 1967 Pontiac Firebird Small Block Chevy to 455 Engine Swap - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.

1967 - 1969 Pontiac Firebird
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1967 Pontiac Firebird Small Block Chevy to 455 Engine Swap sbc to 455 Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Poncho Rob 

• Pontiac Firebird Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: New Member
  • First Name:Rob
  • City:Edmonton
  • State or Province:AB
  • Year: 1967
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Firebird
  • Engine: 355
  • Transmission: turbo 400

Posted 12 September 2010 - 05:00 PM

I bought my 67 Firebird with a sbc (mistake) and now I want to put a 455 with a turbo 400 in it. The car already has a chevy turbo 400 in it and I know it will not work. I have a 1973 455/400 combo and I am looking for any help/tips/advice that anyone is willing to give. I want to put the Pontiac back into it!!!
FYI, it was originally a 6 cylinder car. Thanks for the help!

#2 User is offline   69_Rag_Top 

• Supporting Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Member
  • First Name:Larry
  • City:Southern Connecticut
  • State or Province:CT
  • Interests:I enjoy hiking, outdoor activities, tailgating at Football games, baseball, sports, old coins, rifle range, music and classic cars. All my cars are drivers. I enjoy my Trans Am GTA for cruising on the highways. With the 5.7L these third gen cars accelerate, handle and corner like the best performance cars.
  • Year: 1987
  • Model: Trans Am GTA
  • Engine: 5.7L TPI V8
  • Transmission: 700R4 Automatic

Posted 12 September 2010 - 07:12 PM

Hey Rob,

Nice idea. Maybe Pete or Geno can share some ideas on the swap.

I believe that Pete has a 455 in his 1969 Firebird.

Posted Image
Get your motor runnin'.
Head out on the highway
Lookin' for adventure. And whatever comes our way.

1978 Pontiac Trans Am

WS6 Equipped W72 Engine Pontiac 400
Complete rebuild bored .030 over
Coded WC with 4-speed
Forged rods and pistons, 6X Heads
Hays performance clutch
Flowmaster 40 Series Mufflers

X-pipe 3 inch stainless dual exhaust
Hooker super competition
Ceramic coated long tube headers
Edelbrock Performer Series Carb 600 cfm
Taylor 8MM High Performance Spark Plug Wires

4 core heavy duty radiator
Heavy duty rear springs and shackles
Energy suspension bushings

#3 User is offline   TimS 

• Pip
  • Group: Full Member
  • First Name:Tim
  • City:Temple
  • State or Province:TX
  • Year: 1969
  • Model: Firebird
  • Engine: 455
  • Transmission: TH350

Posted 24 September 2010 - 07:09 AM

Good luck Rob, I've been working on squeezing a 72' 455 with a TH350 into my 69 convertible. I learn something every day. The motor mounts actually fit pretty well with very little modification. Not sure if there would be much difference between 67 and 69 or much difference between the 400 and my 350, but it should be pretty minor. You'll probably have fewer problems if you keep the stock manifolds, but where's the fun in that? I put in Hedman headers and had clearance issues with the motor mounts and inner fenders that needed minor modification. It would have been a lot easier to pull the inner fenders then slowly make mods as you test fit until everything is right. I would also try to put the headers or manifolds on with as much on the engine as possible before you put it back in the car. The exhaust manifold bolts are really hard top reach with the engine in the car. Surprisingly, it was easier for me to get to the manifold bolts with the headers in place because the flanges are thinner. It will fit, you just have to take your time and take care of clearance issues as you go along.

Tim

#4 User is offline   kip3816 

• Pip
  • Group: New Member
  • First Name:Kip
  • City:Cheyenne
  • State or Province:WY
  • Year: 1967
  • Make: pontiac
  • Model: firebird
  • Engine: 455 tri power
  • Transmission: TH400

Posted 19 April 2011 - 08:52 AM

Hi Rob,
I am new here, but I am almost completed with a very similar project. I started with a 67 that someone put a sbc and a th350 in. I pulled that setup as soon as I got the car. I now have a built 72 455 and a 66 tri power top that I am finally completed assembling. I ran into some clearance issues with that large setup as TimS mentioned. Since I was changing transmissions as well, I needed a new trans cross member. I also had to buy the real factory frame side engine mounts, as well as new pad type mounts for the engine side. I did have to modify the frame side mounts a bit in order to move the entire assembly slightly forward for tunnel clearance of the TH400 transmission. It was not a big deal (although I had to take out the body mount bolts on one side in order to remove the old cross member and install the new one). Also had exhaust clearance issues that I am working out right now (fabricating my own down pipes to work around the steering arm and motor mount on the drivers side, the passenger side is no problem). Had to get a new front yoke for the driveshaft (th350 to th400) and also looks like the shaft needs to be shortened by an inch or so (final measurement will be done very soon). Motor assembly actually was just completely installed last night after quite a bit of planning. In my case, it looks like the tri-power is going to have hood clearance problems as well (oh well, guess I get to fabricate an induction scoop for her :-). Still a couple of weeks from firing it up, but it has been a fun project so far. If there is anything that I may be able to help with, feel free to contact me. I have some photos if that would help. How is yours coming along?

Kip

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users