Firebird Nation: No air from vents... - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

No air from vents... Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Leylah 

• Hot Trans Am Chik
  • PipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • Group: Full Member
  • First Name:Leylah
  • City:Born & raised NOR*CAL...residing in Indiana now
  • State or Province:IN
  • Interests:Ta's, lifted trucks, street bikes, tatts, comp kickboxing
  • Year: 1995
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Trans Am
  • Engine: LT1
  • Transmission: 4L60E

Posted 15 July 2010 - 09:25 AM

I'm assuming this is a vacuum line issue? But what ones to check? The manual I have only has wiring diagrams... The defrost works & floor vents but not dash...any ideas?

#2 User is offline   FBN Firebird Nation 

• Pontiac Firebird Trans Am and Formula Fan
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrator
  • City:Sparks
  • State or Province:NV

Posted 15 July 2010 - 10:18 AM

I know the tech article index has the vacuum diagrams for the HVAC system. Do you hear the air blowing? Which vents are the blowing from? What happens when you turn the selector knob for the vents?

#3 User is offline   Ivan 

• Firebird Tune up Technician
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • Group: Full Member
  • First Name:Ivan
  • City:Bayamon
  • State or Province:PR
  • Year: 1998
  • Model: Firebird
  • Engine: 3.8
  • Transmission: Auto 4L60E

Posted 15 July 2010 - 12:12 PM

There is a motor that moves the air deflectors to change the airflow for defrost, floor or front vents, that mechanism is stuck or broken. It happened to my in a nissan and its a common AC problem. How to solve? I prefered to take to a shop.

Ivan
Posted Image
Firebird 1998 3.8 V6
Pace Setter Ceramic Coating Headers
Magnaflow Catalytic 3"
Magnaflow Exhaust 2.5"
SLP Air Lid
SLP Cold Air Intake
180 Deg Thermostat
MSD 8.5 Super Conductor Wire Set
Jegs Super DIS Coils
Bosch Platinum Iridium Fusion Sparks
K & N Air Filter
HP Tuner Tuning
Hotchkis Strut Bar
3.42 Ring & Pinion

Firebird TransAm WS6 2002
SLP 160 Deg Thermostat
K & N Air Filter
Magnaflow Cats
Borla Cat Back
Carbon Fiber Air Lid
SLP Air Intake Elbow
HP Tuner Tuning
Hotchkis Strut Bar

#4 User is offline   1993TransAm 

• DELCO NERD
  • View gallery
  • First Name:Simon
  • City:Central Ohio Region
  • State or Province:OH
  • Interests:Firebirds, Pontiacs, Oldsmobiles, E-bodies, W-bodies, professional automotive repair, automotive electronics and audio, body work, upholstery, detailing, weightlifting, NASCAR, baseball, football, heavy metal, big 80s hair/sweet mullets, and first and foremost my wife, family, friends, and the Almighty God.
  • Year: 1993
  • Model: Firebird Trans Am
  • Engine: 5.7L LT1 OHV V8
  • Transmission: 4L60

Posted 15 July 2010 - 02:46 PM

I don't think the deflector is motorized in the 4th gens - I believe the climate control selector is vacuum operated. I can turn the selector knob when my car is off and still hear the hiss of the vacuum lines working. I believe you have a vacuum line problem. If you remove your radio trim piece, you can see the vacuum lines and the connector that plug into the back of your climate control. The lines are color coded flexible plastic tubes. I'd check to make sure your vacuum connector is snug in the back of your climate control. If that climate control face has been removed for any reason, that vacuum line connector has to come off. It's possible a previous owner may have disturbed the connection. I'd treat the vacuum issue just like an electrical issue...always start with the simple stuff first.

There are two 7mm bolts that hold the climate control in place behind the radio trim piece, one on each side. If you remove those and gently pull the climate control out a little bit, you should be able to make sure that vacuum connection is sealed properly. Just keep in mind that there are other connections behind that module, so I stress the word "gentle."

If you don't own a 7mm socket, I strongly recommend you purchase one. They fasten numerous interior trim panels in that vehicle and countless other GM vehicles from that era.
"Simon, you finally moved on from those punk-a** V6s and turbo 4-cylinder cars." -- Mike R.
THERE IS NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT.
1993 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am..."Abygail"...Black...5.7L LT1 OHV V8...4L60
U1A CD player, '02 Firebird Monsoon Amplifier (12 speakers!), HUD, '91 Grand Prix UK3/NP5 steering wheel, SiriusXM, etc.
1992 Pontiac Richard Petty Special Edition Grand Prix SE..."Robbyn"...Neon Blue Metallic...3.4L LQ1 DOHC V6...4T60E
UB3 digital cluster, UP3 CD player, 10-disc changer, DIC, HUD, AQ9s, SGS switch, Firebird Monsoon amplifier (10 speakers!), etc.
1995 Pontiac Grand Am SE..."Missy"...Bright Aqua Metallic...3.1L L82 OHV V6...4T60E
Pontiac Firebird UW2 amplifier, sail panel tweeters (8 speakers), UP3 CD player, GT tail lights, GT exhaust, etc.
1992 Oldsmobile Toronado Troféo..."Norma"...Light Driftwood Metallic...3.8L L27 OHV V6...4T60E
Delco cassette player, Remote CD player, Olds Alero UQ3 amplifier coming???
1992 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL..."Stormi"...Bright Red...3.1L LH0 OHV V6...4T60
UB3 digital cluster, UQ3 amplifier, Audio Bass Control slider, U1C CD player, Driver Information System, leather AQ9s, etc.

1992 Buick Riviera..."Josephine"...Sapphire Blue Firemist...3.8L L27 OHV V6...4T60E
Delco cassette player, Remote CD player, Buick Century Monsoon amplifier coming???

1988 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz..."Emma"...White...4.5L LR6 OHV V8...440-T4
Delco/Bose Gold Series CD player!!!!! N-Body Monsoon configuration in the works...gonna bang!
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34..."Summer"...Medium Maui Blue Metallic...3.4L LQ1 DOHC V6...4T60E
Not pictured - Delco CD player, Chevy Camaro Monsoon amp coming???

WANTED: 1990 CHEVROLET BERETTA INDY - Know anyone who has one? Let me know! Let them know!
"NERDS? I MAKE NERDS JEALOUS. NERDS THINK ABOUT THE THINGS THAT I DO."
Posted Image

#5 User is offline   Injuneer 

• Just Trying to Help
  • View gallery
  • First Name:Fred
  • City:East Brunswick
  • State or Province:NJ
  • Interests:Card carrying member - NHRA and AARP! Licensed Professional Engineer (Mechanical)
  • Year: 1994
  • Model: Firebird Formula
  • Engine: 381ci LT1 stroker
  • Transmission: TH400 + O/D

Posted 15 July 2010 - 08:14 PM

The most frequent problem is a broken vacuum check valve (#38 in diagram).

4th Gen vacuum diagram, courtesy of Shoebox:

http://shbox.com/1/hvac_vacuum.jpg

Other helpful info:

http://shbox.com/1/vac_check_valve.jpg

The HVAC control vacuum port is the one to the far right, above the vacuum connection for the fuel pressure regulator compensation line (nothing connected to it in photo):

http://shbox.com/1/fp_reg.jpg
1994 FIREBIRD FORMULA

FRED

Posted Image

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

NO PHOTOS - MY WEBSITE IS BEING MOVED TO ANOTHER SERVER - SORRY FOR ANY INCONVENIENCE

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users