Firebird Nation: i want to know if i can put an LT1 in my 86 Trans Am - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.

1982 - 1992 Pontiac Firebird
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

i want to know if i can put an LT1 in my 86 Trans Am i need deep details of how to do this please!!!! Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Bird-of-Fire 

• Pontiac Firebird Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Full Member
  • First Name:Ethan
  • Year: 1986
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Firebird Trans Am
  • Engine: 5.0L V-8 305 LG4
  • Transmission: 5 speed manual

Posted 15 November 2007 - 04:12 PM

HI! i recently bought an 86 Firebird Trans Am. It has a V-8 305 carbureted engine in it. It had an engine fire and most of the wiring harness in the engine compartment got destroyed. ive decided to put a 350 in it while im doing all this work to get it running. i would also like to switch it to TPI. ive been told that an LT1 would be one of the best engines to put in it, i just need to know if that will work in an 86 and what i will need and roughly how much it should all cost. I need as many details as possible, so anyone who can help me out, id be very grateful. thank you!

#2 User is offline   FBN Firebird Nation 

• Pontiac Firebird Trans Am and Formula Fan
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrator
  • City:Sparks
  • State or Province:NV

Posted 15 November 2007 - 04:57 PM

Welcome to FBN Ethan. You will need the wiring harness, LT1 PCM, 4L60E Transmission. I am not sure if you will need to change the motor mounts or not. I would personally go with a new non-LT1 350, this way you can use your current transmission. You could even dump all the computer stuff and go with a carb. :B):

#3 User is offline   1tinindian 

• Firebird Master Tech.
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrator
  • First Name:Leon
  • City:Rockford,Iowa
  • State or Province:IA
  • Year: 1979
  • Model: Trans Am
  • Engine: 403
  • Transmission: TH-350

Posted 15 November 2007 - 05:34 PM

View PostBob, on Nov 15 2007, 06:57 PM, said:

Welcome to FBN Ethan. You will need the wiring harness, LT1 PCM, 4L60E Transmission. I am not sure if you will need to change the motor mounts or not. I would personally go with a new non-LT1 350, this way you can use your current transmission. You could even dump all the computer stuff and go with a carb. :B):

Exactly like I did!

Leon
1979 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
1983 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   blinkn 

• Pontiac Firebird Oil Changer
  • PipPipPip
  • First Name:Robbie
  • City:upstate
  • State or Province:SC
  • Interests:Muscle cars, food, movies, sports cars, and music. "If it goes fast and sounds good, I'm there"
  • Year: 1991
  • Model: Formula
  • Engine: 350 TPI
  • Transmission: Manual 5-speed

Posted 15 November 2007 - 08:02 PM

i looked n2 this mod myself! pritty sure the motor mounts are the same. you will need the motor, wireing harness w/ computer (or painless wireing kit), and probably a different signal sending unit thing (sry but its late and my brains not @ full steam; i cant remember the name :B): ) but it sends a signal from ur trans to ur speedo to let you know how fast ur going. i believe the're mechanical in the '86 and earlier cars (check in the tech archives under T-56 conversion in a third gen- and it will talk about the sending unit thing and weather yours is mechanical or not). It's really not 2 hard of a swap; but i believe the easiest way to do it would be to buy/borrow an LT-1 car, strip it of its motor, trans, CPU, & all the fuel stuff (lines, tank, ect). this could be costly if you had to buy a complete wreck to do this; but you could always sell wats left! in the end you'd have a bad ride!!

BTW, also in the tech files, there is an article that shows you how to custom wire up your fans. i'm not sure if you'd have to do that or not... don't know how hard it would be to make your fans work with the LT1 CPU.

It would be easyer to put back in a carbrated motor... just depends on what you want in the end. Check out Hawksthirdgenparts.com for more info.

#5 User is offline   Bird-of-Fire 

• Pip

Posted 15 November 2007 - 08:31 PM

View PostBob, on Nov 15 2007, 06:57 PM, said:

#6 User is offline   Bird-of-Fire 

• Pip

Posted 15 November 2007 - 08:33 PM

Thanks for the help guys. as im learning more ive decided to just get a new carb, distributor, wiring harness and a few other things ill need to get my current 305 running so i can start having fun with my new bird. after that i will start finding parts and building my own 350 with new heads and all that good stuff then do a quick swap with the engines and roast some rubber! thank you all for the information!

#7 User is offline   SoulTerror 

• Elite Signature Maker
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • First Name:Mark
  • City:Lewisville
  • State or Province:NC
  • Interests:Music, cars, computers, and my daughter.
  • Year: 1996
  • Model: Firebird Formula
  • Engine: LT1
  • Transmission: Auto

Posted 16 November 2007 - 06:31 AM

I was thinking of getting an LT1 for my bird as well.
Posted Image
-BBK shorty headers with custom y-pipe-
-FlowMaster muffler with Magnaflow tips-
-BBK throttle body-
-QA1 dual adjustable shocks in rear-
-BMR Panhard bar-
-K&N FIPK-

#8 User is offline   firehawkslplus 

• Pip
  • Group: New Member
  • First Name:Roger
  • City:San Antonio
  • State or Province:TX
  • Interests:Pro-Tourin/G-Machines, Engines,computers, Most of the Sciences, IMSA, RoadRacing of most any kind and as of the last 10yrs politics (2 year term as Govenor before president) NO I didn't vote for him. NO ball sports ie: baseball basketball, football,Golf,Pool, ect.
  • Year: 1991
  • Model: Firebird Formula
  • Engine: 350/5.7L TPI
  • Transmission: 700R4/auto

Posted 26 November 2007 - 04:53 AM

[quote name='Bird-of-Fire' post='179608' date='Nov 15 2007, 06:12 PM']HI! i recently bought an 86 Firebird Trans Am. It has a V-8 305 carbureted engine in it. It had an engine fire and most of the wiring harness in the engine compartment got destroyed. ive decided to put a 350 in it while im doing all this work to get it running. i would also like to switch it to TPI. ive been told that an LT1 would be one of the best engines to put in it, i just need to know if that will work in an 86 and what i will need and roughly how much it should all cost. I need as many details as possible, so anyone who can help me out, id be very grateful. thank you!

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/tpi/1782...heads-gen1.html

The above link is to a thread on 3rdgen board on doing a top end swapie: intake and heads from LT-1 GenII on a GenI. This gets you the best of both worlds. Be warned the heads do require some mods to to work mostly with the coolant flow and intake mods for a conventional distr. :twocents:

This post has been edited by firehawkslplus: 26 November 2007 - 05:03 AM

#9 User is offline   Jeff85 

• ASS KICKER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • First Name:Jeff
  • State or Province:ON
  • Interests:Muscle cars
  • Year: 1995
  • Model: Trans Am
  • Engine: 5.7L LT1
  • Transmission: 6 Spd.

Posted 27 November 2007 - 08:18 PM

View PostBob, on Nov 15 2007, 07:57 PM, said:

Welcome to FBN Ethan. You will need the wiring harness, LT1 PCM, 4L60E Transmission. I am not sure if you will need to change the motor mounts or not. I would personally go with a new non-LT1 350, this way you can use your current transmission. You could even dump all the computer stuff and go with a carb. :lmao22:

you dont have the nessicarily use a 4L60E tranny, i'm planning an LT1 swap myself and im going to use a 700R4.
Posted Image
89 Firebird, Full Magnaflow Exhaust, Custom Intake, ASP Underdrive Pulleys, 3.73 Gears, 180* Stat, 15" Eagle Alloy Rims, BFG Radial T/A's, JL Stereo, Custom Interior Lighting, Tinted Windows, New Black Headliner

95 Trans Am - 3" Flowmaster, K&N CAI

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users