Firebird Nation: 1999 WS6 Trans Am cheapest way to increase horsepower and torque - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
  • 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1999 WS6 Trans Am cheapest way to increase horsepower and torque Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   kpflenker 

• Pontiac Firebird Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: New Member
  • First Name:kalvin
  • City:long grove
  • State or Province:IA
  • Year: 1999
  • Make: pontiac
  • Model: trans am
  • Engine: ls1
  • Transmission: manual

Posted 28 April 2010 - 06:30 PM

I have a 1999 ws6 trans am 30th anny. i was just wondering how to increase the horsepower and torque for pretty cheap? i have headers and exhaust but i just want a little more out of the car.

#2 User is offline   Pete W 

• Pete
  • Pip
  • View gallery
  • Group: Account Disabled
  • First Name:Pete
  • City:Saskatoon, Canada
  • State or Province:SK
  • Year: 1969
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Firebird
  • Engine: 455
  • Transmission: Auto Turbo 400

Posted 28 April 2010 - 06:32 PM

Kalvin, you should consider changing your rear end gears to a set of 3.73's.
It will give you that Pontiac Excitement! :12EMOTICHEERS:

#3 User is offline   kpflenker 

• Pip

Posted 28 April 2010 - 06:38 PM

Pete W, on 28 April 2010 - 06:32 PM, said:

Kalvin, you should consider changing your rear end gears to a set of 3.73's.
It will give you that Pontiac Excitement! :12EMOTICHEERS:

what will that set me back?

#4 User is online   Injuneer 

• Just Trying to Help
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrator
  • First Name:Fred
  • City:East Brunswick
  • State or Province:NJ
  • Interests:Card carrying member - NHRA and AARP! Licensed Professional Engineer (Mechanical)
  • Year: 1994
  • Model: Firebird Formula
  • Engine: 381ci LT1 stroker
  • Transmission: TH400 + O/D

Posted 28 April 2010 - 06:47 PM

Because you have the M6 tranny, with the dual O/D ratios, I'd pick 4.10's. It will feel like (and perform like) you added 20% more torque at the rear wheels, because the gears multiply torque. You will need some sticky tires to take advantage of it though.

Gears - $200 - $225
Install Kit: (standard)$50 to (deluxe)$125
Labor - $250-350

http://www.thunderra...p&vid=3&pcid=67
1994 FIREBIRD FORMULA

FRED

Posted Image

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

#5 User is offline   carboy400 

• Pip
  • View gallery
  • Group: Full Member
  • First Name:Andrew
  • City:Waterford
  • State or Province:WI
  • Year: 1976
  • Model: Trans AM
  • Engine: N/A
  • Transmission: N/A

Posted 28 April 2010 - 06:52 PM

Rear gears will set you back to much. Go with Nitro for cheap fun. Bang for the buck it wins any mod hands down.

But for a more permenant upgrade (one you don't have to refill) think of your motor as a air pump the more air you take in and expell the better. So if you have headers and exhaust you have takin' care of the output side. Now look to bring in more air on the input side. Air filter/open element, Ram Air. Those motors respond extremely well to 1.7:1 rockers, verified 15-20 hp. After that upgrade your ignition.

#6 User is online   Injuneer 

• Just Trying to Help
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Card carrying member - NHRA and AARP! Licensed Professional Engineer (Mechanical)

Posted 28 April 2010 - 06:57 PM

Nitrous (not "nitro") - done right - will set you back as much or more than the gears. Most of the popular nitrous kits are bare bones, requiring substantial additional "safety" components. Then add to that the cost of the intall (if you don't want to do it yourself) and you are easilly at $1,000. I ran a 125-shot on my stock engine for 5 years. Great way to make big HP and torque.... but the cost of the basic kit (I ran the NOS 5176-EO) is just the tip of the iceberg.
1994 FIREBIRD FORMULA

FRED

Posted Image

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

#7 User is offline   kpflenker 

• Pip

Posted 28 April 2010 - 07:10 PM

Injuneer, on 28 April 2010 - 06:57 PM, said:

Nitrous (not "nitro") - done right - will set you back as much or more than the gears. Most of the popular nitrous kits are bare bones, requiring substantial additional "safety" components. Then add to that the cost of the intall (if you don't want to do it yourself) and you are easilly at $1,000. I ran a 125-shot on my stock engine for 5 years. Great way to make big HP and torque.... but the cost of the basic kit (I ran the NOS 5176-EO) is just the tip of the iceberg.

Do performance chips work at all?

#8 User is offline   FBN Firebird Nation 

• Pontiac Firebird Trans Am and Formula Fan
  • View gallery
  • City:Sparks
  • State or Province:NV

Posted 28 April 2010 - 07:21 PM

kpflenker, on 28 April 2010 - 07:10 PM, said:

Do performance chips work at all?

A mail order tune can give you anywhere from 15 to 20 hp, but the programmers are far to expensive, and will probably not give you much if anything in terms of power.

#9 User is offline   FSTLS1TA 

• FBN Master Technician
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • First Name:John
  • City:Lafayette
  • State or Province:LA
  • Interests:Just working on cars and taking care of my daughters.
  • Year: 2000
  • Model: Trans Am
  • Engine: LS1 Owns You
  • Transmission: Manual T56 6 Speed

Posted 28 April 2010 - 07:33 PM

When modding the LS1 motors. They love mods. I would start with the gears. Like Fred said go with 4.10 gears. It will feel like a different car. Seeing how you have an 2002 you already have an LS6 intake. But are motors aready have 1.7 roller rockers. You can go with 1.8 Yella Terra Roller Rockers and free up 15-20 HP. And help the valvetrain with these full roller rockers. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
Sold but not forgotten. 443rwhp/411rwtq, 12.11 at 115.57mph, 5% Black Tint all the way around, Black C6 Z06 Deep Dish Corvette Rims, Ventslide Black Taillight Covers, Pacesetter LT Headers with TSP Rumbler Exhaust, SLP Airlid with Holley Powershot Airfilter, SLP Smooth Bellow, Tuned By Ragin Racin, Descreened MAF EGR/AIR Delete, No CATS, BMR Subframe Connectors, Eibach Lowering Springs, SLP Bilstein Struts on the front, Comp Drag Shocks on the rear, UMI Lower Control Arms, UMI Panhard Bar, UMI Adjustable Torque Arm w. Driveshaft Safteyloop, Pro 5.0 Shifter with a Lou's Short Stick, SLP Line Lock, Powerslot Double Drilled and Slotted Rotors, LS7 Clutch with LS2 Flywheel, Mcloed Adjustable Master Cylinder,Taylor 10.4mm Race Wires, LS6 Intake and PP 85mm Throttle Body, Track Rims & Tires(Rear Weld Rims and M/T ET Streets, Front Summitracing Sports and Nexas Skinnies), PRC 5.3L Stage 2.5 CNC Ported Heads, ARP Head and Cam Bolts, Torquer V2 Cam, 37lb Fuel Injectors, LS7 Lifters, Harden Pushrods,Yella Terra Roller Rockers, JP LS2 Timing Chain, Ported LS6 Oil Pump, LS6 PCV System. Moser 9 Inch Rearend with 4.11 gears 31 Spline Axles and Detroit Tru-Trac Posi Unit.

Posted Image

#10 User is offline   73Birdman 

• Not a Newbie
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • First Name:Arquis
  • City:Chicago
  • State or Province:IL
  • Interests:fast cars, shooting pool , sports, loving the White Sox, Hating the Cubs, and fast cars
  • Year: 1973
  • Engine: 400
  • Transmission: Auto

Posted 29 April 2010 - 04:19 AM

kpflenker, on 28 April 2010 - 06:30 PM, said:

I have a 1999 ws6 trans am 30th anny. i was just wondering how to increase the horsepower and torque for pretty cheap? i have headers and exhaust but i just want a little more out of the car.

Upgrade Your: Mass Air Flow Sensor

Throttle Body BBK or other

Purchase a : Full Intake System K&N or other Manufacturer

3.73 gears

four very simple upgrades worth about 20-30 HP

#11 User is offline   carboy400 

• Pip
  • View gallery
  • First Name:Andrew
  • City:Waterford
  • State or Province:WI
  • Year: 1976
  • Model: Trans AM
  • Engine: N/A
  • Transmission: N/A

Posted 29 April 2010 - 07:39 AM

Yeah the 1.8:1 rockers sorry about the mix up. I vote easy bolt on mods you could do. "Nitrous" is easy with the kits they sell.

#12 User is offline   FSTLS1TA 

• FBN Master Technician
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery

Posted 29 April 2010 - 11:12 AM

Don't worry about your stock mass air flow. They have been proven and dyno tested to handle 600rwhp. As well as the stock coils are still great for making high HP. Don't waste your money on the MSD coils. Spark and fuel is controles by the tuner. When you get into the upper 300rwhp than bigger injectors will be needed. But your stock fuel pump will still be fine on a NA motor. Just let me know your budget and I can get a good list together.
Sold but not forgotten. 443rwhp/411rwtq, 12.11 at 115.57mph, 5% Black Tint all the way around, Black C6 Z06 Deep Dish Corvette Rims, Ventslide Black Taillight Covers, Pacesetter LT Headers with TSP Rumbler Exhaust, SLP Airlid with Holley Powershot Airfilter, SLP Smooth Bellow, Tuned By Ragin Racin, Descreened MAF EGR/AIR Delete, No CATS, BMR Subframe Connectors, Eibach Lowering Springs, SLP Bilstein Struts on the front, Comp Drag Shocks on the rear, UMI Lower Control Arms, UMI Panhard Bar, UMI Adjustable Torque Arm w. Driveshaft Safteyloop, Pro 5.0 Shifter with a Lou's Short Stick, SLP Line Lock, Powerslot Double Drilled and Slotted Rotors, LS7 Clutch with LS2 Flywheel, Mcloed Adjustable Master Cylinder,Taylor 10.4mm Race Wires, LS6 Intake and PP 85mm Throttle Body, Track Rims & Tires(Rear Weld Rims and M/T ET Streets, Front Summitracing Sports and Nexas Skinnies), PRC 5.3L Stage 2.5 CNC Ported Heads, ARP Head and Cam Bolts, Torquer V2 Cam, 37lb Fuel Injectors, LS7 Lifters, Harden Pushrods,Yella Terra Roller Rockers, JP LS2 Timing Chain, Ported LS6 Oil Pump, LS6 PCV System. Moser 9 Inch Rearend with 4.11 gears 31 Spline Axles and Detroit Tru-Trac Posi Unit.

Posted Image

#13 User is offline   96TA 

• just another car guy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • First Name:Albert
  • City:Port Saint Lucie
  • State or Province:FL
  • Interests:family, cars, racing
  • Year: 1996
  • Model: Trans-Am
  • Engine: LT1
  • Transmission: 6 Speed

Posted 29 April 2010 - 12:17 PM

Injuneer, on 28 April 2010 - 06:47 PM, said:

Because you have the M6 tranny, with the dual O/D ratios, I'd pick 4.10's. It will feel like (and perform like) you added 20% more torque at the rear wheels, because the gears multiply torque. You will need some sticky tires to take advantage of it though.

Gears - $200 - $225
Install Kit (deluxe) - $125
Labor - $250-350

http://www.thunderra...p&vid=3&pcid=67

hey Fred, what will the 4.10's do to the gas milage, as opposed to 3.73's? sorry to hijack this for a quick second. i have the LT1 6 speed.

and i agree, gears are safer on the car, there is always risk to the nitrous, and if you have a little experience with it you may want to consult a professional on the set up.
Albert
Treasure Coast, FL
Remember there is always someone who needs the parts you send to the junkyard
Membership is what helps sites like ours succeed, SIGN UP TODAY!!
Membership Details can be found here: http://www.firebirdnation.com/club/

Posted Image
96 TRANS AM - SLP ceramic coated shorty headers, Flowmaster exhaust, SLP intake going in the bumper under the driverside light, Short throw shifter, Honeycomb tailights, Corvette styled 5 spoke rims with 315/35/17 Sumitomo rears 245/45/17 Fuzion HTI front tires, Drilled and slotted rotors front and rear, Accel optispark, Skip-shift eliminator, more to come...

1975 Trans Am SOLD -& MISSED -- THE 75 MOD LIST - C.E. SUBFRAME CONNECTORS, EIBACH LOWERING SPRINGS FRONT, 3 WAY ADJUSTABLE SHOCKS ALL AROUND, ENERGY SUSPENSION FROM FRONT TO BACK, FLOWMASTER SUPPER 44 x2, LONG TUBE HEADERS, JEGS 3" EXHAUST PIPES, RUSSLES BRAIDED BRAKE HOSES FRONT AND BACK, TCI STREET FIGHTER 400 TRANNY WITH 2200 STALL CONVERTER, NEW WIRING, AND MORE TO COME

THE 95 TRANS AM SOLD BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

#14 User is offline   1997ws6 

• Firebird Master Tech.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • First Name:Kevin
  • City:Buffalo
  • State or Province:NY
  • Interests:Muscle cars, camping and MMA. Watching MMA, not participating! :)
  • Year: 1997
  • Engine: 350 LT1
  • Transmission: Borg Warner T56

Posted 29 April 2010 - 12:38 PM

The Throttle Body Bypass mod is free and will get you about 6hp. It's a good mod if you don't drive in the freezing cold. Here is the write up for the LT1. The LS1 is a little different, but you can probably figure it out.

http://www.firebirdn...howtopic=114203
Kevin Beckwith
www.gearforadventure.com

RIP Jay

LT1
Borg Warner T56 6 Speed Manual
4:10 Rear End
160 Degree Thermostat
Hooker Super Comp Long Tubes
Granatelli Motorsports MAF
Tuned PCM from PCMforless
MSD Blaster Coil
K&N Air Filter
Flowmaster Cat Back
Taylor 8mm Wires
Throttle Body Bypass
LT4 Knock Module

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

#15 User is offline   96TA 

• just another car guy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery

Posted 29 April 2010 - 12:56 PM

thanks Kevin, I will try that when i get home :twocents:
Albert
Treasure Coast, FL

Posted Image
96 TRANS AM - SLP ceramic coated shorty headers, Flowmaster exhaust, SLP intake going in the bumper under the driverside light, Short throw shifter, Honeycomb tailights, Corvette styled 5 spoke rims with 315/35/17 Sumitomo rears 245/45/17 Fuzion HTI front tires, Drilled and slotted rotors front and rear, Accel optispark, Skip-shift eliminator, more to come...

1975 Trans Am SOLD -& MISSED -- THE 75 MOD LIST - C.E. SUBFRAME CONNECTORS, EIBACH LOWERING SPRINGS FRONT, 3 WAY ADJUSTABLE SHOCKS ALL AROUND, ENERGY SUSPENSION FROM FRONT TO BACK, FLOWMASTER SUPPER 44 x2, LONG TUBE HEADERS, JEGS 3" EXHAUST PIPES, RUSSLES BRAIDED BRAKE HOSES FRONT AND BACK, TCI STREET FIGHTER 400 TRANNY WITH 2200 STALL CONVERTER, NEW WIRING, AND MORE TO COME

#16 User is online   Injuneer 

• Just Trying to Help
  • View gallery

Posted 29 April 2010 - 01:56 PM

With the M6, your shouldn't see a significant loss of gas mileage, even compared to the stock 3.42 gears. It just makes the overdrive 5th and 6th gears more usable at lower MPH. If you were to compare mileage at a constant 80MPH, you might see a bit of a drop. But for lower speed cruising and "city" driving, I doubt you will see a difference. I did 3.73's when I still had the M6, and didn't notice any lower MPG. I wish I had done the 4.10's back then.
1994 FIREBIRD FORMULA

FRED

Posted Image

#17 User is offline   FSTLS1TA 

• FBN Master Technician
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery

Posted 29 April 2010 - 05:09 PM

Yep even with 4.10 you wont see that much loss on the highway. Now city driving is a new story. You are going to have alot of fun with the first 3 gears. But its an fbody not a honda.

Posted Image

#18 User is offline   96TA 

• just another car guy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery

Posted 29 April 2010 - 05:39 PM

keep in mind i live in florida and the speed limit is 70 and i do 80 all the time for long periods of time. thanks
Albert
Treasure Coast, FL

Posted Image

#19 User is offline   FSTLS1TA 

• FBN Master Technician
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery

Posted 29 April 2010 - 06:01 PM

Well now that I got the Moser 9 inch. I was even thinking about going with 4.30 gears.

Posted Image

#20 User is offline   warjr67 

• Pontiac Firebird Oil Changer
  • PipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • First Name:Will
  • City:Lansing
  • State or Province:MI
  • Interests:Cars, Trucks, Bikes
  • Year: 1967
  • Engine: 400
  • Transmission: M-20 4spd

Posted 29 April 2010 - 06:04 PM

There's a list of Free Mods to do! Removing Hot water/coolant on the thottle body. Cutting off the EGR tube behind the throttle body. There's at least 4 more LS1 free Mods..
gotta check em out... Good Hunting
1967 Firebird 400
2000 TransAm

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users