Firebird Nation: Should I flush out the DexCool? - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Should I flush out the DexCool? Have under 40K miles - Not too late? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Mark42 

• Pontiac Firebird Oil Changer
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Member
  • First Name:Mark
  • City:Somewhere
  • State or Province:Other
  • Year: 1998
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Firebird
  • Engine: 3800 II
  • Transmission: Automatic 4L60E

Posted 19 April 2010 - 06:00 PM

My 98 V6 Firebird has less than 40K on it now, and the DexCool coolant is still clear. I have been reading about the consumer law suits against GM regarding problems with DexCool. Wondering if I should flush the entire system and fill with the traditional "green" anti-freeze/coolant? Or are these isolated problems with DexCool?
Posted Image
1998 Firebird Coupe
Mods: 3.73 Gears, Eaton Truetrac, PCM Tune, LS1 Aluminum Drive Shaft, Cold Air Intake, 180 Thermostat, Magnaflow Cat-Back, HID Fog, Low & High.

My Firebird Projects: Click Here

#2 User is offline   1993TransAm 

• DELCO NERD
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrator
  • First Name:Simon
  • City:Central Ohio Region
  • State or Province:OH
  • Interests:Firebirds, Pontiacs, Oldsmobiles, E-bodies, W-bodies, professional automotive repair, automotive electronics and audio, body work, upholstery, detailing, weightlifting, NASCAR, baseball, football, heavy metal, big 80s hair/sweet mullets, and first and foremost my wife, family, friends, and the Almighty God.
  • Year: 1993
  • Model: Firebird Trans Am
  • Engine: 5.7L LT1 OHV V8
  • Transmission: 4L60

Posted 19 April 2010 - 06:42 PM

DexCool breaks down the upper and lower intake manifolds in that motor, in addition to creating what the class action lawsuit called "general engine sealability" problems. Basically, the 90 degree V6 engines (such as yours and the 3300s), 60 degree V6s (3400 and 3100), and 4300 Vortec motors were all adversely affected by DexCool. Your gaskets may need replaced depending on how much they have reacted with the DexCool already. It could only be a matter of time. You have noting to lose by getting that poison out of your engine. By the way, GM settled that class action suit after years of denying there was anything wrong with their DexCool.
"Simon, you finally moved on from those punk-a** V6s and turbo 4-cylinder cars." -- Mike R.
THERE IS NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT.
1993 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am..."Abygail"...Black...5.7L LT1 OHV V8...4L60
U1A CD player, '02 Firebird Monsoon Amplifier (12 speakers!), HUD, '91 Grand Prix UK3/NP5 steering wheel, SiriusXM, etc.
1992 Pontiac Richard Petty Special Edition Grand Prix SE..."Robbyn"...Neon Blue Metallic...3.4L LQ1 DOHC V6...4T60E
UB3 digital cluster, UP3 CD player, 10-disc changer, DIC, HUD, AQ9s, SGS switch, Firebird Monsoon amplifier (10 speakers!), etc.
1995 Pontiac Grand Am SE..."Missy"...Bright Aqua Metallic...3.1L L82 OHV V6...4T60E
Pontiac Firebird UW2 amplifier, sail panel tweeters (8 speakers), UP3 CD player, GT tail lights, GT exhaust, etc.
1992 Oldsmobile Toronado Troféo..."Norma"...Light Driftwood Metallic...3.8L L27 OHV V6...4T60E
Delco cassette player, Remote CD player, Olds Alero UQ3 amplifier coming???
1992 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL..."Stormi"...Bright Red...3.1L LH0 OHV V6...4T60
UB3 digital cluster, UQ3 amplifier, Audio Bass Control slider, U1C CD player, Driver Information System, leather AQ9s, etc.

1992 Buick Riviera..."Josephine"...Sapphire Blue Firemist...3.8L L27 OHV V6...4T60E
Delco cassette player, Remote CD player, Buick Century Monsoon amplifier coming???
1988 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz..."Emma"...White...4.5L LR6 OHV V8...440-T4
Delco/Bose Gold Series CD player!!!!!
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34..."Summer"...Medium Maui Blue Metallic...3.4L LQ1 DOHC V6...4T60E
Newly acquired - not pictured - Delco CD player, Chevy Camaro Monsoon amp coming???

"NERDS? I MAKE NERDS JEALOUS. NERDS THINK ABOUT THE THINGS THAT I DO."
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   Pete W 

• Pete
  • Pip
  • View gallery
  • Group: Account Disabled
  • First Name:Pete
  • City:Saskatoon, Canada
  • State or Province:SK
  • Year: 1969
  • Engine: 455
  • Transmission: Auto Turbo 400

Posted 19 April 2010 - 07:15 PM

Mrk, I would flush it out for sure. Just keep an eye on the lower intake gasket for leaks.

#4 User is offline   81frbd 

• Pontiac Firebird Mechanic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • First Name:Rick
  • City:Detroit, MI
  • State or Province:MI
  • Year: 1981
  • Model: Firebird Formula
  • Engine: 350
  • Transmission: Auto turbo 350

Posted 19 April 2010 - 07:36 PM

Pete and Simon are right. Get rid of that crap A.S.A.P!

When I built the motor for my Formula, I made sure I used good old green coolant. It's worked for ever and continues to do so.

Just make sure, once you get the new coolant in, you check it with a test ball tool so you know you're getting the right protection. Don't just rely on the 50/50 mix some manufacturers are selling now a days.

#5 User is offline   Mark42 

• Pontiac Firebird Oil Changer
  • PipPipPip
  • First Name:Mark
  • City:Somewhere
  • State or Province:Other
  • Year: 1998
  • Engine: 3800 II
  • Transmission: Automatic 4L60E

Posted 20 April 2010 - 04:24 AM

Wow! Thanks for the replies. Guess I will be flushing the system this weekend. Hopefully because the DexCool is still clear, it has not started to do damage.

I don't like "pre-mix" coolant. Rather read the mix ratio and decide for myself what is needed for my climate.

To flush, I guess after draining out the radiator petcock, the system can be filled by the garden hose while the engine idles for a few minutes, ensuring a good flow of water. Can leave the radiator open so it continually drains. Then drain the water and fill with the right mix of coolant and distilled water. Sound good?
Posted Image
1998 Firebird Coupe
Mods: 3.73 Gears, Eaton Truetrac, PCM Tune, LS1 Aluminum Drive Shaft, Cold Air Intake, 180 Thermostat, Magnaflow Cat-Back, HID Fog, Low & High.

My Firebird Projects: Click Here

#6 User is offline   TransAmer99 

• Put the EVIDENCE in the Car!
  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderator
  • First Name:Jim
  • City:281 - Spring
  • State or Province:TX
  • Interests:Firebird & Trans Am Diecast
    Hunting, Fishing, Outdoors
    Firearms & Shooting
    N-Scale Model Railroading
  • Year: 1980
  • Model: Trans Am
  • Engine: 1972 Pontiac 400
  • Transmission: TH-350, 2.41 rear

Posted 20 April 2010 - 04:40 AM

Well, it would be better for the environment (not to mention plants, pets, pests and people) to capture all the old stuff instead of running it down the driveway, into the yard or down the storm sewer. If it eats seals, there's no telling what it will do in the water table. At least try to drain the initial load from the radiator into a bucket or container of some sort.
-
Prestone still sells a Flush & Fill kit where you splice a tee-fitting into your heater hose and hook a garden hose to that. This ensures that you not only flush all the old crap out of the engine (a hose in the radiator only keeps the radiator full - power-flushing through the heater core backflushed the whole system), but you can also use their clean-out product to make the system as free of the old stuff as possible before you introduce the new mix.
Posted Image

Rest In Peace, Pete, a.k.a. "Brother Rat" and Jay, our Firebird Brother!
Y'all two keep each other out of trouble up there, okay?

#7 User is offline   Injuneer 

• Just Trying to Help
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrator
  • First Name:Fred
  • City:East Brunswick
  • State or Province:NJ
  • Interests:Card carrying member - NHRA and AARP! Licensed Professional Engineer (Mechanical)
  • Year: 1994
  • Engine: 381ci LT1 stroker
  • Transmission: TH400 + O/D

Posted 20 April 2010 - 05:00 AM

If your car is a 98, the coolant should have been flushed and replaced twice already, at 5-year intervals (if you accept the GM guidelines).

The best way to drain the coolant is to use the radiator petcock and the block drains, backed up with a power flush to clean out the heater.

Regarding disposal, don't leave ethylene glycol where an animal can get to it - the sweet odor attracts them, they drink it, and it poisons them.

http://www.flowstoba...zeRecycling.pdf

The Dex-Cool problems with the V6 engines are well documented. There was also an issue with the incorrect radiator cap being used on some GM trucks, allowing excessive air to enter the system, causing sludge. Beyond that, the claims of problems are mostly ambulance-chasing attorneys looking for a quick buck - pure histrionics. All GM vehicles since 1996 have used Dex-Cool. If there was a problem beyond those already identified, there would be millions of GM vehicles littering the roadside, pouring out coolant, or overheating.

I switched my LT1 to Dex-Cool in 1996 at my first coolant change. I've been using it since then, with the 5-year replacement guideline. It has definite advantages with regard to reduced water pump wear, protection of aluminum components, etc.
1994 FIREBIRD FORMULA

FRED

Posted Image

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

NO PHOTOS - MY WEBSITE IS BEING MOVED TO ANOTHER SERVER - SORRY FOR ANY INCONVENIENCE

#8 User is offline   81frbd 

• Pontiac Firebird Mechanic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • First Name:Rick
  • City:Detroit, MI
  • State or Province:MI
  • Year: 1981
  • Engine: 350
  • Transmission: Auto turbo 350

Posted 20 April 2010 - 05:32 AM

View PostTransAmer99, on 20 April 2010 - 04:40 AM, said:

Well, it would be better for the environment (not to mention plants, pets, pests and people) to capture all the old stuff instead of running it down the driveway, into the yard or down the storm sewer. If it eats seals, there's no telling what it will do in the water table. At least try to drain the initial load from the radiator into a bucket or container of some sort.
-
Prestone still sells a Flush & Fill kit where you splice a tee-fitting into your heater hose and hook a garden hose to that. This ensures that you not only flush all the old crap out of the engine (a hose in the radiator only keeps the radiator full - power-flushing through the heater core backflushed the whole system), but you can also use their clean-out product to make the system as free of the old stuff as possible before you introduce the new mix.

Now is a good time to replace all your hoses since you're into the coolant system anyway. They're not real expensive and besides, "PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE" is the key to a happy motor.

I've used this Prestone system on all my vehicles (with the exception to the Firebird, that doesn't need it yet) and one thing that I've always done is to replace the one I'm splicing. That way I can splice the old hose, put in the "T" fitting. Flush the system and then put the new hose in. That way I don't have that unsightly "T" fitting in my engine bay. It also prevents a possible leak point from the fitting.

Since you'll be doing this every 5 years or so, you can just repeat the process.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users