Firebird Nation: 1993 Pontiac Firebird Whining noise during acceleration - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1993 Pontiac Firebird Whining noise during acceleration Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Darren4mc 

• Pontiac Firebird Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: New Member
  • First Name:Darren
  • Year: 1993
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Firebird
  • Engine: 3.4
  • Transmission: Auto

Posted 27 April 2007 - 02:14 PM

Hey guys.I have my 93 firechicken (v6) running pretty good these days other than a couple days ago.Just started making a kind of whining noise during acceleration or when I rev it up.We've had alot of rain lately and my car takes on quite a bit of water thru the headlight gaps to the engine.I dont know if this could just be the belt (which is fairly new) or maybe something needs to be lubed up.I am a little low on power steering fluid but that doent seem to be the issue.Its not when I turn.Any ideas what this whirring noise could be,all engines do it I know,but this I can hear inside the car now.Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.Thanks again!

#2 User is offline   toirn 

• Pip
  • Group: Account Disabled
  • First Name:Frank
  • Year: 1995
  • Engine: LT1
  • Transmission: M56

Posted 27 April 2007 - 06:27 PM

I'd start with the power steering fluid.
My cars ps pump whines in cold weather before it warms up. That's just sitting there idleing --- louder when turning.

Probably completely different issues. Just saying that the PS can't be eliminated just because your not turning.

Other than that, I don't know.

Pop the hood (car in park, ebrake on, wheels blocked) and have someone rev the engine. Try to isolate where it's coming from.

Keep in mind that I once used that method and replaced an alternator because I had an exhaust leak.
Sure as hell sounded like the bearings in the alternator were going out to me. 
So ... 
Good luck.

#3 User is offline   rusnrno 

• Old and Slow
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • Group: Full Member
  • First Name:Russ
  • City:Reno, Nevada
  • State or Province:NV
  • Interests:*Edit- Free, single and loving it! My two grown children and my Grandson and Granddaughter. My Firebird, Snow skiing, MMA fighting, woodworking, home and auto electronics, camping, rafting, work, and sleep.
  • Year: 1996
  • Model: Firebird Formula
  • Transmission: M6

Posted 27 April 2007 - 07:58 PM

You should probably check all of your pulleys. This is very easy to do. Remove the serpentine belt, then spin the tensioner, alternator, AC etc.
I had a whine recently and it was my AC pulley bearing. It could be any of the afore mentioned parts. This is any easy way to track it down.
Good Luck and let us know what you find.
Posted Image
RIP Jay
I miss you already Bro'.
RIP-Brother Rat
1996 Formula
LT1, M6,Eaton Posi, Moser Axles, 4.10 Gears
CC305 Cam, Crane 10308-1 Valve Springs, Crane 11746 NSA 1.6 Full Roller Rockers, Trik Flow pushrods, LT4 timing set, Accel injectors, OBD1 conversion, CATS tuning software,
ARP head bolts and rocker studs,
no AC, no AIR, PCM tuned by ME, Pacesetter LT headers, no cats, SLP fan switch, UMI Lower Control Arms, UMI Panhard Bar, UMI LCA Relocation Brackets, UMI Tunnel mount Torque Arm, Edelbrock Strut tower bar, Billet valve covers, Drop Zone 1.8" lowering springs, LT4 Knock module, MSD6AL Ignition, Taylor Wires, B&M Shifter, Hypertech 160 T-stat, Power Slot brake rotors, Ram Air hood(functional), TA front bumper, Home-built "Stealth" sub enclosures, Torque Thrust II wheels with 275/40/17s, Toyo Proxes Drag Radials

#4 User is offline   Darren4mc 

• Pip

Posted 27 April 2007 - 08:04 PM

View Posttoirn, on Apr 27 2007, 06:27 PM, said:

I'd start with the power steering fluid.
My cars ps pump whines in cold weather before it warms up. That's just sitting there idleing --- louder when turning.

Probably completely different issues. Just saying that the PS can't be eliminated just because your not turning.

Other than that, I don't know.

Pop the hood (car in park, ebrake on, wheels blocked) and have someone rev the engine. Try to isolate where it's coming from.

Keep in mind that I once used that method and replaced an alternator because I had an exhaust leak.
Sure as hell sounded like the bearings in the alternator were going out to me.
So ...
Good luck.

So you think it could be the alternator eh?Would that have anything to do with when I push the brake down relatively hard my lights go dim for a split second in my car?

Thanks for the info again,I really appreciate it guys,more suggestions the better.Oh and by the way,I filled the power steering fluid tonight,still doing it.It almost sounds like a fanblade cutting thru air while I'm revving the car.

View Postrusnrno, on Apr 27 2007, 07:58 PM, said:

You should probably check all of your pulleys. This is very easy to do. Remove the serpentine belt, then spin the tensioner, alternator, AC etc.
I had a whine recently and it was my AC pulley bearing. It could be any of the afore mentioned parts. This is any easy way to track it down.
Good Luck and let us know what you find.

Good idea,I'll get to it hopefully sometime tommorow and get back about it.So by spinning it by hand I could possibly hear some noise?

#5 User is offline   rusnrno 

• Old and Slow
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • Interests:*Edit- Free, single and loving it! My two grown children and my Grandson and Granddaughter. My Firebird, Snow skiing, MMA fighting, woodworking, home and auto electronics, camping, rafting, work, and sleep.

Posted 27 April 2007 - 08:07 PM

View PostDarren4mc, on Apr 27 2007, 09:04 PM, said:

So you think it could be the alternator eh?Would that have anything to do with when I push the brake down relatively hard my lights go dim for a split second in my car?

Thanks for the info again,I really appreciate it guys,more suggestions the better.Oh and by the way,I filled the power steering fluid tonight,still doing it.It almost sounds like a fanblade cutting thru air while I'm revving the car.

Good idea,I'll get to it hopefully sometime tommorow and get back about it.So by spinning it by hand I could possibly hear some noise?

Yes, you aill be able to feel some resistance if a bearing is bad. You won't here it like you here it when driving though.
You could purchase an automotive stethiscope. Just be careful when using it around moving parts.
Posted Image
RIP Jay
I miss you already Bro'.
RIP-Brother Rat
1996 Formula
CC305 Cam, Crane 10308-1 Valve Springs, Crane 11746 NSA 1.6 Full Roller Rockers, Trik Flow pushrods, LT4 timing set, Accel injectors, OBD1 conversion, CATS tuning software,
no AC, no AIR, PCM tuned by ME, Pacesetter LT headers, no cats, SLP fan switch, UMI Lower Control Arms, UMI Panhard Bar, UMI LCA Relocation Brackets, UMI Tunnel mount Torque Arm, Edelbrock Strut tower bar, Billet valve covers, Drop Zone 1.8" lowering springs, LT4 Knock module, MSD6AL Ignition, Taylor Wires, B&M Shifter, Hypertech 160 T-stat, Power Slot brake rotors, Ram Air hood(functional), TA front bumper, Home-built "Stealth" sub enclosures, Torque Thrust II wheels with 275/40/17s, Toyo Proxes Drag Radials

#6 User is offline   Alan70 

• Firebird Master Tech.
  • View gallery
  • Group: FBNCC Member
  • First Name:Alan
  • City:Reno
  • Year: 2011
  • Make: harley
  • Model: ultra limited
  • Engine: 103
  • Transmission: 6 speed

Posted 27 April 2007 - 08:43 PM

Try this it may be ac pump running out of or getting low on that new stuff they load the system with and pump is starting to make sounds.Try turning it on see what happens.The other thing that happens I have seen is the pulley tensioner is to tight on belt or going bad and you don't hear it till rpms go up.If alternater is flickeing maybe pulley or belt is to loose and belt is not seating in grove.Hope this helps.

#7 User is offline   Darren4mc 

• Pip

Posted 28 April 2007 - 10:45 AM

View PostAlan70, on Apr 27 2007, 08:43 PM, said:

Try this it may be ac pump running out of or getting low on that new stuff they load the system with and pump is starting to make sounds.Try turning it on see what happens.The other thing that happens I have seen is the pulley tensioner is to tight on belt or going bad and you don't hear it till rpms go up.If alternater is flickeing maybe pulley or belt is to loose and belt is not seating in grove.Hope this helps.

Thanks again guys,Ill give it all a whirl tommorow hopefully,Im a bit busy today.I'll get back with the results.

#8 User is offline   Darren4mc 

• Pip

Posted 20 May 2007 - 11:50 AM

View PostDarren4mc, on Apr 28 2007, 10:45 AM, said:

Thanks again guys,Ill give it all a whirl tommorow hopefully,Im a bit busy today.I'll get back with the results.

Sorry for the delay but I've been busy lately.It seems the problem was with the ac pulley,when I kick the air on,that square looking unit on the pulley doesnt turn,so I'm guessing its that whole unit.I'm havent looked around to really see how much one of them cost,as I've never used the air conditioning since I bought the car,But Im guessing its that.

Also,whenever I put my turn signal on,my voltage gauge jumps to the flash motion of my lights quite a bit,or when I come to a stop quickly my lights dim a bit.Any ideas on these little surges,Im just curious if It might be a problem with the alternator.But it does seem to be charging.

Oh yah 1 more quick thing,My electro lock key unit....any ideas what to clean those connectors with?My car doesnt want to crank sometimes and the seciurity light will come on for a couple seconds when I start the car.Usually if I pull it in and out,or wiggle the wires that go to it,my car will the fire up.I have the option to take it out...but the place wants like 200 dollars to do it,so needless to say,that aint happening.

#9 User is offline   rusnrno 

• Old and Slow
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery

Posted 20 May 2007 - 01:56 PM

Does the noise change when you turn on the AC? Did you relieve the tension on the belt and spin the pulley?
Just want to make sure you don't replace the wrong parts.
Posted Image
RIP Jay
I miss you already Bro'.
RIP-Brother Rat
1996 Formula

#10 User is offline   Darren4mc 

• Pip

Posted 26 May 2007 - 03:55 PM

View Postrusnrno, on May 20 2007, 01:56 PM, said:

Does the noise change when you turn on the AC? Did you relieve the tension on the belt and spin the pulley?
Just want to make sure you don't replace the wrong parts.

Yah,its definitly that ac pulley.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users