Firebird Nation: 67 sprint value - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.

1967 - 1969 Pontiac Firebird
  • 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

67 sprint value Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   sippy 

• Pontiac Firebird Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: New Member
  • First Name:Paul
  • Year: 1965
  • Make: Chevrolet
  • Model: elcamino
  • Engine: 327
  • Transmission: powerglide

Posted 25 April 2007 - 09:23 AM

I am going to be looking at a 67 firebird as soon as an older gentelman has a chance to dig it out. He has owned it for over 20 years. I had a quick look at it a year or so ago . After doing a little homework I think it may be a factory sprint convertible with a 4 speed, power windows I'm not sure what else. When I see it I will know better. It's in fair shape but has some rotton spots very poor paint as far as I can remember. He spent quite a lot of money getting the engine redone a number of years ago (over $7000)????? , He wanted $8000 last year but now i think he realizes that is unrealistic. I know it will take a lot to restore this car so I have to be careful not to pay too much for it, but would like to be fair as well as I know him well.

My question is 2 fold.
1 If it is a sprint and original how rare is it (does it affect the value a lot)?.
2 Any idea how much it may be worth

#2 User is offline   Zippy 

• Drunkanuck
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrator
  • First Name:Dan
  • City:100 mile house BC Canada
  • State or Province:BC
  • Year: 7781
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Trans Am
  • Engine: 455 H0
  • Transmission: TH400

Posted 25 April 2007 - 10:07 AM

I know they are fairly rare, does it have a OHC6 in it??? If it does, it pretty rare. Not sure on the value/what it's worth, without acctually seein it and doing some homework.
Dan Pesonen
Bandit Powdercoat
Because custom doesnt come from a box
FBN Members recieve 20% off Powdercoating
Posted Image

"If it ain't broke, modify somethin till it is"

I should Know, ya know.......NO
My next hobby will be flooding my basement while repeatedly banging my head against a brick wall and tearing up $100 bills. Whee!

Dinner, the perfect break between Work, and Drunk

#3 User is offline   sippy 

• Pip

Posted 25 April 2007 - 10:30 AM

Yes It Does have the OHC6 in it. He tells me the transmission is not original but the previous owner gave him the original one when he bought it. So I'll have to see that too. When I get to see it I will Check for the 4 barrel carb as well as the split exhaust which is the telltale sign it's a sprint I think. anything else I need to check? I'm not sure how soon he will dig it out but when he does I will take a few pictures and get the tag info as well.

#4 User is offline   Zippy 

• Drunkanuck
  • View gallery

Posted 25 April 2007 - 10:38 AM

Ya, get some pics, but if it's been restored, mechanically, and body aint too bad, under $10K is a steal I have been told. I know of one Sprint fro sale for $20K
Dan Pesonen
Bandit Powdercoat
Posted Image

My next hobby will be flooding my basement while repeatedly banging my head against a brick wall and tearing up $100 bills. Whee!

#5 User is offline   sippy 

• Pip

Posted 25 April 2007 - 10:46 AM

Only the engine was redone the rest I don't think has been touched. Interior needs lots of work too.
I guess that if it's not a sprint that will bring the price way down.

This post has been edited by sippy: 25 April 2007 - 10:47 AM

#6 User is offline   Zippy 

• Drunkanuck
  • View gallery

Posted 25 April 2007 - 06:31 PM

Ya, if only the engine was redone, and the int and ext need work, that will for sure drop the price. No number matching tranny anymore... Well... LOL
Dan Pesonen
Bandit Powdercoat
Posted Image

#7 User is offline   RamAirThree 

• Autobody and Restoration
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Member
  • First Name:Lou
  • City:Queens
  • State or Province:NY
  • Interests:American Muscle Cars, Motorcycles (preferably Harleys), Good music, great friends, my woman and family and that includes the pets....... Is there really anything else in this world worth living for?
  • Year: 1970
  • Model: FORMULA 400 RAIII
  • Engine: 400 Ram Air III
  • Transmission: Muncie CR 4/3:90 12 bolt

Posted 26 April 2007 - 06:06 AM

I owned a 68 convertable Sprint 6 and all Sprint 6's are an OHC with a 4bbl. Thats what makes them a 215 bhp rated at the crank Sprint 6 as opposed to a standard 6 banger bird. I seen them for 20k restored aswell but it is hard to get that for the car. Also Sprint 6's were more common with a manual gear box which also drops the value some and they also usually came equipped with A/C and power windows and a power top. Mine was an automatic with A/C and a power top. I paid $4500 for mine and since the original Sprint 6 was removed and thrown away because this guy had no idea he gave me the car with a rebuilt Chevy 350 ci motor and trans but the car needed to be finished and body work on both quarters, drivers windshield pillar and dash needing to be done along with a redone gut. The seats were clean but all the panels were shabbed and it needed a new top. I also owned a 68 convertable 400 HO with a 4-speed that was stolen and when that happened I went ape sh*t and was so disgusted I gave away the 68 sprint 6 for free because I did not want it anymore. You have to understand a sprint 6 is more of a cruiser with some luxary and was also considered a wifes Firebird, where a 400 HO convertable with a 4-speed is one of the rarest birds out there, I fear I will never find one again. I would have struggled and if lucky I might have fetched 16k selling the sprint convertable restored but the Convertable HO with the rare 4-speed would easily have sold for $60K to $80k then depending on how nice she came out even though selling these cars were not my intent. But just so you understand the car was stolen while doing all the restoration work and she was not finished. I had a sh*t load of Harley parts in the trunk aswell at the time and had parked her outside my shop for a tow truck to pick her up and bring her home to make room when she was nabbed. I had no insurance on her due to not being finished and lost every dollar and wasted all that sweat, blood and band aids for nothing. I guess in a way I blamed that Sprint for causing the move and why at that frame of mind being so disgusted I just gave her away. Here it is 7 almost 8 years later and I am still out for blood keeping an eye out for her or a Harley with my parts to murder someone and maybe get my baby back.

So if it helps any, I always thought I paid too much for that car considering the resale value and the realistic demand for a Sprint 6. If this car needs a full resto less motor rebuild and considering its 8 years later since buying mine. Giving what any convertable are pulling now in price, I would not pay more than $4000 to $4500 depending on how deep the work has to go in restoration as far as weld work and feel secure that it was a fair price for me.

~Lou
Posted Image
1 of 32 "Drag Packs" made, 1 of a handful left in the world!
1970 Formula 400 RAIII / Muncie close ratio 4-speed / 3:90 Limited Slip 12 bolt Rearend.
All original and matching number car.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#8 User is offline   sippy 

• Pip

Posted 26 April 2007 - 06:46 AM

Zippy I am told the tranny in his garage is the number matching trans. I just don't know what it is yet. He is not very Mechanically inclined.

Ram Air Three: It does have a power top, power windows, buchets, console, not sure about the air. Are you saying that the sprint is not all that rare, and even as a sprint (say number matching) it's not worth all that much? How about if it's not a sprint but just a basic 6 does that drop it value substantially?

Thanks for the advise

#9 User is offline   RamAirThree 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:American Muscle Cars, Motorcycles (preferably Harleys), Good music, great friends, my woman and family and that includes the pets....... Is there really anything else in this world worth living for?

Posted 26 April 2007 - 09:13 AM

It's not that they aren't rare, it is about demand. You have to understand this motor was around during the Muscle/Pony car wars and that sought of killed its legacy and value. If you restore one to a 97 point or better original show car I am sure you can get probably anywhere up from 20k to 25k if there is a collector looking to own one but then again I hope you can restore it yourself because a good resto shop would probably charge you 20k to 30k to do that depending on panel replacemens needed. But the truth is as rare as it is, it just took a back seat in value to the big brother 400's and HO version birds and became very ignored as a recognized favorite on the market. Restored I would value the car realistically to sell publicly between 12k and 16k.

As for a plain 6, I believe they were a Chevy 250 ci. inline 6 cylinder back in 67, it will be dramatically less in value. Most of these cars become V8 swappers with enthusiast and Pro street builders.

But Paul please do not miss interpret what I am saying here, none the less it is still a convertable and any convertable is still a big money car. So if you are looking for a car to enjoy and the guy is aking $4500 or less its a good deal and you could always enjoy a V8 in the car while owning it by just storing the original drive train, this way if you decide to sell it you can still sell it as a matching number car and leave it up to yourself whether you want to give the v8 drivetrain with the car or keep it for your next toy.

As for me, there is no comparison in enjoyment, once you have had 365 hp from a stock 400 HO backed by a manual trans, anything as dramatically less in HP will feel like a Golf Cart on the pavement. But thats me and the fact this is a convertable I seriously doubt a pro street racer is what you have in mind....... you should just ask yourself is this about speed or just a great car to cruise, and if you are after some HP are you willing to swap a drive train to have that.... Once you answer that I think any uneasiness will come to rest and you will be secure with a decision. Also if this helps, if its $4500 or less and she runs even I would buy her.

~Lou
Posted Image
1970 Formula 400 RAIII / Muncie close ratio 4-speed / 3:90 Limited Slip 12 bolt Rearend.

#10 User is offline   lotsatas 

• Firebird Tune up Technician
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • City:Waterloo
  • State or Province:ON
  • Year: 1978
  • Engine: 400
  • Transmission: 350 Automatic

Posted 26 April 2007 - 10:18 AM

There is one in our area that has been for sale for 2 yeras now. 10 year old restoration. The car looks good and is clean, it is close to, but not perfect anymore. He is asking $18,000.00 and I guess can't get it because it is still for sale.

#11 User is offline   sippy 

• Pip

Posted 26 April 2007 - 10:54 AM

Lou
Thanks I'm not really looking for speed right now. I have a 65 Elcamino with a 327 300HP in it, so that will do for the power fix. I just always wanted a convertible, and I like the 4 speed. I just figure If I do an off frame restoration on it , that can get real expensive and if the car is quite valuable after it just makes it more worth it. Last time I talked to him a year or 2 ago he wanted $8000 (because he claims he spent $7000 on the engine a number of years ago) I know thats out to lunch, But he now I feel sees thats not realistic . He told me that he does want to get rid of it and was sure we could come up with an agreement, so I guess I'll have to wait to see him and see how much he will drop

Paul: I am Near Sarnia Nice to talk to someone so close to home.

#12 User is offline   RamAirThree 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 April 2007 - 11:11 AM

No problem Paul, I just wish you had pictures, it would be so much easier to give you a price. The price I am stating is for a car that runs, but needs some work on the floors, rockers, and quarters a full paint job with some body work on dings and a minor dent or two and also needing some interior and top work and some cleaning up aswell in the engine compartment.

Best of luck and the El Camino sounds like a real cool ride,
~Lou :24happybirthday:
Posted Image

#13 User is offline   sippy 

• Pip

Posted 26 April 2007 - 12:38 PM

Thanks so much for taking the time to help me. It is much appreciated.

When I see the car I will take some pics and post them. Not sure when that will happen though. My elcamino is just in the last stages of a frame off restoration. I hope to have it all done within the next month. gettin kinda itchy to drive with the nice weather.
Any idea how many convertibles were made in 67? Or are there lots around?

#14 User is offline   RamAirThree 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 April 2007 - 12:54 PM

View Postsippy, on Apr 26 2007, 04:38 PM, said:

Thanks so much for taking the time to help me. It is much appreciated.

When I see the car I will take some pics and post them. Not sure when that will happen though. My elcamino is just in the last stages of a frame off restoration. I hope to have it all done within the next month. gettin kinda itchy to drive with the nice weather.
Any idea how many convertibles were made in 67? Or are there lots around?

First off just the year of your Elcamino is sweet and definitely worth the work. I had a 66 Chevelle and it was my first car and I wish I never sold it. Its somewhat different than the 65 I know but there was something about all those cars from that era that they all shared that just made them special.

As for stats on the bird I am not sure how many are around but here is a link with some stats. You could try sending away for a packet on your car from Pontiac Historical site. Best invesment anyone can make on their project to get all that hard info and the dealer invoice on but hurry as of May 1st they are raising their prices from $35 to $50 and and $45 to $65. Here are both links below.......

1967 Codes

Pontiac Historic Services Home
Posted Image

#15 User is offline   sippy 

• Pip

Posted 26 April 2007 - 01:10 PM

#16 User is offline   lotsatas 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 April 2007 - 06:15 PM

Paul: I am Near Sarnia Nice to talk to someone so close to home.

Well hello neighbour!!
I was in Sarnia once last year. Stopped in at the A&W cruise night.

#17 User is offline   sippy 

• Pip

Posted 27 April 2007 - 07:12 AM

Cool, When I get my elky done maybe we canmeet there later on this summer. Do you go to the bothwel meet?

#18 User is offline   lotsatas 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 April 2007 - 04:00 PM

Do you go to the bothwel meet?

Sure did ! I'm there every year.

Hoping to win that $14,000.00 each way 50\50 draw

#19 User is offline   sippy 

• Pip

Posted 30 April 2007 - 04:36 PM

Yea. $14000.00 that was nuts. I was there last year for the first time in a long time. Plan to go this year again. I'll have to meet you there this year.

Do I have that right do You have 5 cars?

I have been doing a little more digging on the car I am looking at. If it is a sprint being a convertible there must have been very few made. I read one educated guess at possibly a just 370.

Here is a quote ot he post

"How many 1967 Pontiac Firebird Sprint Six convertibles were built?

don't know, but will offer a guess. There were about 82,560 firebirds made in 67. Of these, 15,528 were convertibles, or about 19%. 17,664 were 6 cyl, total, including the base 6 and the 4bbl sprint or 21%. So just assuming 21% of convertibles were 6 cyl, that would make 3,709 convertible 6's.

The sprint package was a high compression version of the OHC 6, with a 4bbl with 215HP. The weird thing was it was a more expensive package than the 250HP 326 V8, so I would guess there wasn't that many that opted for it. If it was 10% of 6 cyl cars that ordered the sprint package, that would mean the sprint convertibles may have been a total of about 370"

Does that sound right or not? As more and more of these OHC 6 Cyl get modified to make 400's I would think it would make the value just go up. Or do you think I am just talking myself into this?

Is There a way to find out for sure about those numbers?

I know I'm also getting ahead of myself untill I see the car again. I knew very little last time I saw it.

Talk to you later.

Paul

#20 User is offline   lotsatas 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 May 2007 - 03:51 PM

Does that sound right or not? As more and more of these OHC 6 Cyl get modified to make 400's I would think it would make the value just go up. Or do you think I am just talking myself into this?

I don't know much about 1st generation at all. Spend some time on the net and see what you can dig up about those cars. I belive they are very rare because of the OHC 6 cylinder engine, but I have only heard that. i can't confirm how many there are. The one I looked at here in Waterloo is a factory 4 speed convertible car with the OHC six in it . The owner claims it has 220 hp. It was totaly restored in 95 I think he said. He wants $18,000.00 Canadian for it, but it has been for sale for at least 2 years now. I might do some checking around and if I find anything out I get back to you.

Did you take a car to Bothwell of just drop by to see the other cars? I usually take a car to show along with a few of my buds and we travel down together. Usually at least 3 or 4 cars in our group. Las tyear they had 1500 cars there I think.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users