Firebird Nation: Low coolant light staying on - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Low coolant light staying on Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   TransAm99 

• Firebird Tune up Technician
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • Group: Full Member
  • First Name:Bryan
  • City:Orlando
  • State or Province:FL
  • Year: 1999
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Trans AM
  • Engine: 5.7L LS-1
  • Transmission: Stock 4 speed automatic

Posted 29 January 2010 - 04:02 PM

I was driving today and the low coolant light came on. I got some anti-freeze, and filled the reservoir to the top (on accident). I let it sit for about 2 hrs and checked it to see that it had dropped about 8 inches. I then checked the radiator and it was full to the lid.

But when I started the car up again, the light still came on. Any ideas on why it is still on? Ive put nearly half the jug in there.

#2 User is offline   TransAm99 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery

Posted 29 January 2010 - 04:14 PM

I have read in the manual that it may stay on after filling, but turning the car off and then restarting it should turn the light off. Ive have done this many times with no luck.

#3 User is offline   FBN Firebird Nation 

• Pontiac Firebird Trans Am and Formula Fan
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrator
  • City:Sparks
  • State or Province:NV

Posted 29 January 2010 - 04:23 PM

It's the low level sensor, and they are known to go bad. If you aren't losing water, I wouldn't worry about it. It takes about 10 minutes to replace.

#4 User is offline   TransAm99 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery

Posted 29 January 2010 - 04:32 PM

Good deal, I will see if it changes when I'm on the road. I just didn't want to be stuck an hr away from home with an overheating car at 9pm.

#5 User is offline   Injuneer 

• Just Trying to Help
  • View gallery
  • First Name:Fred
  • City:East Brunswick
  • State or Province:NJ
  • Interests:Card carrying member - NHRA and AARP! Licensed Professional Engineer (Mechanical)
  • Year: 1994
  • Model: Firebird Formula
  • Engine: 381ci LT1 stroker
  • Transmission: TH400 + O/D

Posted 29 January 2010 - 08:46 PM

When the low coolant light came on, did you check the level in the radiator BEFORE you added anything to the reservoir? The low coolant sensor is in the radiator. Or, did you only check the reservoir, see that it was low, and add coolant without checking the radiator?

If you filled the reservoir to the top, and lost 8" of level in a short period, did you check for a puddle under the reservoir? It may be leaking. Low level there will not cause a low coolant light, until the reservoir is completely empty, and there is no coolant for the radiator to pull back in as it cools down.
1994 FIREBIRD FORMULA

FRED

Posted Image

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

NO PHOTOS - MY WEBSITE IS BEING MOVED TO ANOTHER SERVER - SORRY FOR ANY INCONVENIENCE

#6 User is offline   1993TransAm 

• DELCO NERD
  • View gallery
  • First Name:Simon
  • City:Central Ohio Region
  • State or Province:OH
  • Interests:Firebirds, Pontiacs, Oldsmobiles, E-bodies, W-bodies, professional automotive repair, automotive electronics and audio, body work, upholstery, detailing, weightlifting, NASCAR, baseball, football, heavy metal, big 80s hair/sweet mullets, and first and foremost my wife, family, friends, and the Almighty God.
  • Year: 1993
  • Model: Firebird Trans Am
  • Engine: 5.7L LT1 OHV V8
  • Transmission: 4L60

Posted 30 January 2010 - 07:23 AM

I agree with Fred on this one. You shouldn't lose 8 inches of coolant in the overflow reservoir in a short period of time unless your actual sealed system is very low on coolant or you have a leak at the reservoir, which is a common problem with these vehicles because the battery sits on top of the reservoir. Battery acid can corrode the reservoir and cause a leak. The level sensor is in the radiator (as noted by several folks) about 2-3" below the filler neck, so for that sensor to close you have to be (1) quite low on coolant in the radiator and/or (2) the sensor has failed. I'd check the system for leaks first. Since your cooling system is sealed, you should have very little to no air in the radiator, even when it has cooled down completely.

This post has been edited by 1993TransAm: 30 January 2010 - 07:35 AM

"Simon, you finally moved on from those punk-a** V6s and turbo 4-cylinder cars." -- Mike R.
THERE IS NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT.
1993 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am..."Abygail"...Black...5.7L LT1 OHV V8...4L60
U1A CD player, '02 Firebird Monsoon Amplifier (12 speakers!), HUD, '91 Grand Prix UK3/NP5 steering wheel, SiriusXM, etc.
1992 Pontiac Richard Petty Special Edition Grand Prix SE..."Robbyn"...Neon Blue Metallic...3.4L LQ1 DOHC V6...4T60E
UB3 digital cluster, UP3 CD player, 10-disc changer, DIC, HUD, AQ9s, SGS switch, Firebird Monsoon amplifier (10 speakers!), etc.
1995 Pontiac Grand Am SE..."Missy"...Bright Aqua Metallic...3.1L L82 OHV V6...4T60E
Pontiac Firebird UW2 amplifier, sail panel tweeters (8 speakers), UP3 CD player, GT tail lights, GT exhaust, etc.
1992 Oldsmobile Toronado Troféo..."Norma"...Light Driftwood Metallic...3.8L L27 OHV V6...4T60E
Delco cassette player, Remote CD player, Olds Alero UQ3 amplifier coming???
1992 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL..."Stormi"...Bright Red...3.1L LH0 OHV V6...4T60
UB3 digital cluster, UQ3 amplifier, Audio Bass Control slider, U1C CD player, Driver Information System, leather AQ9s, etc.

1992 Buick Riviera..."Josephine"...Sapphire Blue Firemist...3.8L L27 OHV V6...4T60E
Delco cassette player, Remote CD player, Buick Century Monsoon amplifier coming???

1988 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz..."Emma"...White...4.5L LR6 OHV V8...440-T4
Delco/Bose Gold Series CD player!!!!! N-Body Monsoon configuration in the works...gonna bang!
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34..."Summer"...Medium Maui Blue Metallic...3.4L LQ1 DOHC V6...4T60E
Not pictured - Delco CD player, Chevy Camaro Monsoon amp coming???

WANTED: 1990 CHEVROLET BERETTA INDY - Know anyone who has one? Let me know! Let them know!
"NERDS? I MAKE NERDS JEALOUS. NERDS THINK ABOUT THE THINGS THAT I DO."
Posted Image

#7 User is offline   TransAm99 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery

Posted 30 January 2010 - 05:18 PM

I added to the reservoir first, as the car was still hot. The fluid dropped from the top of the neck to the point where it flanged out into the larger reservoir over a period of 2 hrs. I drove home last night (130 mile drive) with no change in the level when I got home; the light was on the entire time and the engine temp was always around 205 on the gauge (210 being the middle).

There were no leak marks in my driveway this morning or in my apartment parking spot. When I cleaned the wheels and suspension today i took a look under the car and saw no leaks either so the system is still sealed.

I did notice a bunch of brown gunk mixed in with the green coolant when i checked the radiator. Could that have any effect on the sensor?

By the way, a new sensor is $58 at NAPA so any way to resolve this problem without getting a new sensor would be great!

This post has been edited by TransAm99: 30 January 2010 - 05:20 PM

#8 User is offline   96TA 

• just another car guy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • First Name:Albert
  • City:Port Saint Lucie
  • Interests:family, cars, racing
  • Year: 1996
  • Model: Trans-Am
  • Engine: LT1
  • Transmission: 6 Speed

Posted 30 January 2010 - 05:26 PM

you can try taking it out and cleaning it real good but its not a gaurantee but its a chance. i did it to mine and it didnt work.
Albert
Treasure Coast, FL
Remember there is always someone who needs the parts you send to the junkyard
Membership is what helps sites like ours succeed, SIGN UP TODAY!!
Membership Details can be found here: http://www.firebirdnation.com/club/

Posted Image
96 TRANS AM - SLP ceramic coated shorty headers, Flowmaster exhaust, SLP intake going in the bumper under the driverside light, Short throw shifter, Honeycomb tailights, Corvette styled 5 spoke rims with 315/35/17 Sumitomo rears 245/45/17 Fuzion HTI front tires, Drilled and slotted rotors front and rear, Accel optispark, Skip-shift eliminator, more to come...

1975 Trans Am SOLD -& MISSED -- THE 75 MOD LIST - C.E. SUBFRAME CONNECTORS, EIBACH LOWERING SPRINGS FRONT, 3 WAY ADJUSTABLE SHOCKS ALL AROUND, ENERGY SUSPENSION FROM FRONT TO BACK, FLOWMASTER SUPPER 44 x2, LONG TUBE HEADERS, JEGS 3" EXHAUST PIPES, RUSSLES BRAIDED BRAKE HOSES FRONT AND BACK, TCI STREET FIGHTER 400 TRANNY WITH 2200 STALL CONVERTER, NEW WIRING, AND MORE TO COME

THE 95 TRANS AM SOLD BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

#9 User is offline   TransAm99 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery

Posted 30 January 2010 - 05:29 PM

View Post75TA, on 30 January 2010 - 05:26 PM, said:

you can try taking it out and cleaning it real good but its not a gaurantee but its a chance. i did it to mine and it didnt work.

Im guessing thats going to drain the radiator when I do that right?

#10 User is offline   Injuneer 

• Just Trying to Help
  • View gallery
  • First Name:Fred
  • City:East Brunswick
  • State or Province:NJ
  • Interests:Card carrying member - NHRA and AARP! Licensed Professional Engineer (Mechanical)
  • Year: 1994
  • Model: Firebird Formula
  • Engine: 381ci LT1 stroker
  • Transmission: TH400 + O/D

Posted 30 January 2010 - 08:20 PM

Are you saying you used "green" (conventional) coolant, and not the "orange" (extended life - Dex-Cool) coolant required for your engine? Hopefully, you didn't mix the two different coolants.
1994 FIREBIRD FORMULA

FRED

Posted Image

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

NO PHOTOS - MY WEBSITE IS BEING MOVED TO ANOTHER SERVER - SORRY FOR ANY INCONVENIENCE

#11 User is offline   FSTLS1TA 

• FBN Master Technician
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • First Name:John
  • City:Lafayette
  • State or Province:LA
  • Interests:Just working on cars and taking care of my daughters.
  • Year: 2000
  • Model: Trans Am
  • Engine: LS1 Owns You
  • Transmission: Manual T56 6 Speed

Posted 30 January 2010 - 08:31 PM

View PostInjuneer, on 30 January 2010 - 08:20 PM, said:

Are you saying you used "green" (conventional) coolant, and not the "orange" (extended life - Dex-Cool) coolant required for your engine? Hopefully, you didn't mix the two different coolants.

I hope that didnt happen. My buddy did it to his camaro and it messed up the seal on the water pump.
Sold but not forgotten. 443rwhp/411rwtq, 12.11 at 115.57mph, 5% Black Tint all the way around, Black C6 Z06 Deep Dish Corvette Rims, Ventslide Black Taillight Covers, Pacesetter LT Headers with TSP Rumbler Exhaust, SLP Airlid with Holley Powershot Airfilter, SLP Smooth Bellow, Tuned By Ragin Racin, Descreened MAF EGR/AIR Delete, No CATS, BMR Subframe Connectors, Eibach Lowering Springs, SLP Bilstein Struts on the front, Comp Drag Shocks on the rear, UMI Lower Control Arms, UMI Panhard Bar, UMI Adjustable Torque Arm w. Driveshaft Safteyloop, Pro 5.0 Shifter with a Lou's Short Stick, SLP Line Lock, Powerslot Double Drilled and Slotted Rotors, LS7 Clutch with LS2 Flywheel, Mcloed Adjustable Master Cylinder,Taylor 10.4mm Race Wires, LS6 Intake and PP 85mm Throttle Body, Track Rims & Tires(Rear Weld Rims and M/T ET Streets, Front Summitracing Sports and Nexas Skinnies), PRC 5.3L Stage 2.5 CNC Ported Heads, ARP Head and Cam Bolts, Torquer V2 Cam, 37lb Fuel Injectors, LS7 Lifters, Harden Pushrods,Yella Terra Roller Rockers, JP LS2 Timing Chain, Ported LS6 Oil Pump, LS6 PCV System. Moser 9 Inch Rearend with 4.11 gears 31 Spline Axles and Detroit Tru-Trac Posi Unit.

Posted Image

#12 User is offline   TransAm99 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery

Posted 31 January 2010 - 07:38 AM

Well great. Now that I look at it there is Dex-cool (it is rust orange colored im guessing) in the radiator. There is barely any green in there at all yet because most of it is in the reservoir. Im getting the system flushed today asap.

This post has been edited by TransAm99: 31 January 2010 - 07:49 AM

#13 User is offline   FBN Firebird Nation 

• Pontiac Firebird Trans Am and Formula Fan
  • View gallery
  • City:Sparks
  • State or Province:NV

Posted 01 February 2010 - 12:28 PM

Good call on getting it flushed.

#14 User is offline   TransAm99 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery

Posted 01 February 2010 - 09:38 PM

Got it flushed within 30 mins of making that post. They refilled it with Dex-cool and its been running great. When it was flushed I was able to see that all of the green came out of the reservoir and not the radiator so the two never mixed outside of the reservoir. What sucks is that cost $100 and I still have a broken sensor.

#15 User is offline   Lou B 

• Pontiac Firebird Mechanic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • First Name:Lou
  • City:Ocala
  • Interests:cars, music, nice people
  • Year: 1993
  • Model: Firebird
  • Engine: 5.7
  • Transmission: auto

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:18 PM

Anyone have a WELLS #, Standard,(something I can cross reference at "Advanced" ? They no longer even show a listing for this sensor, that's where I bought it so it's under warrantee, but they can't look it up without a part # . Thanks

#16 User is offline   GaryDoug 

• Ramblin' Wreck
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • First Name:Gary
  • City:Florida West Coast
  • Interests:EE from Ga Tech, but I can't fix your TV, so don't ask ;-)
  • Year: 1998
  • Model: Trans Am
  • Engine: 5.7L LS1
  • Transmission: 4L60-E Auto

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:26 PM

Attached File(s)

Posted Image
1998 Trans Am - LS1/A4 - all stock and almost all original - one owner - driven daily

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users