Firebird Nation: Battery drain - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Battery drain

#1 User is offline   wolfman 

• Pontiac Firebird Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Full Member
  • First Name:Bryan
  • City:Paradise
  • State or Province:TX
  • Year: 1999
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Trans Am WS6
  • Engine: 5.7L LS1
  • Transmission: Auto

Posted 20 January 2010 - 01:55 PM

I did some searching in the forums, and did not find any topics matching my problems. I have a question regarding a battery drain issue. When the car is sitting it is currently drawing 3.6 amps of power. This is up from 2.7 amps a couple of months ago when I had to sideline this project due to school and job demands, so I know this is a deteriorating issue. As expected, the car must either be started daily and driven, or be kept on a charger at all times when it's parked, or the battery will die.

I have been going through the two fuse boxes under the hood, and have narrowed the problem down to four circuits. This is where things get interesting, and I have included photos below to refer to. If I have either one of the headlight fuses installed, the drain occurs. I also removed the wires going to the power post for the second (front) fuse box. If I hook up either of the two wires shown in the photos, the drain will again return. Of course, everything collects in the main wiring loom, and this is where it begins to get uncomfortable.

My question on this is, what do the two disconnected wires go to? and is there a common point where the wiring tends to get damaged in the high mileage 4th gen cars? Thanx in advance.

Attached File(s)

#2 User is offline   79/6.6 

• Larry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • First Name:larry
  • City:Bristol,Tn
  • State or Province:TN
  • Interests:classic cars, Auburn Football, Good music, cool evenings, and sometimes....just sometimes, Johnny Walker Red.
  • Year: 1979
  • Model: Trans Am
  • Engine: 6.6 olds 403
  • Transmission: Turbohydromatic 400

Posted 28 January 2010 - 03:14 AM

What you have is called parasitic battery drain. 3.6 amps is fairly high drain. IF what you say is correct, "If I have either one of the headlight fuses installed, the drain occurs." then your problem is in the lighting circuit. Check all wiring going to the front set of lights. Also check bulbs, sockets, and your headlight motors. Chances are if you ring it out with a meter, you will find a short down stream from your fuse block. Leave the fuse out, and ohm the circuit out. There is a headlight module, behind the drivers side headlight. This is ultimately what kills the power and turns on the power to your headlights. Check the module as well.
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   wolfman 

• Pip

Posted 06 February 2010 - 06:55 PM

View Post79/6.6, on 28 January 2010 - 03:14 AM, said:

What you have is called parasitic battery drain. 3.6 amps is fairly high drain. IF what you say is correct, "If I have either one of the headlight fuses installed, the drain occurs." then your problem is in the lighting circuit. Check all wiring going to the front set of lights. Also check bulbs, sockets, and your headlight motors. Chances are if you ring it out with a meter, you will find a short down stream from your fuse block. Leave the fuse out, and ohm the circuit out. There is a headlight module, behind the drivers side headlight. This is ultimately what kills the power and turns on the power to your headlights. Check the module as well.

Thanks. Sorry for the long time responding. Other things have kept coming up to keep me away from getting this solved. Unfortunately, I have to rule out the circuit posted earlier. I went back to address possible common points for the four wires, only to find that when I plugged the meter in, it is now showing a 3 amp draw, even with the entire chassis electrical system disconnected. This is (again) leaving me at the alternator, starter, or cable. I've already had the alternator disconnected with no change, so I get to pursue the starter next, which coincidentally has positive and negative cables sharing a weather sleeve. I get to get back underneath the car, and I hate having to crawl around underneath. More on the subject when the weather once again decides to cooperate.

#4 User is offline   79/6.6 

• Larry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • First Name:larry
  • City:Bristol,Tn
  • State or Province:TN
  • Interests:classic cars, Auburn Football, Good music, cool evenings, and sometimes....just sometimes, Johnny Walker Red.
  • Year: 1979
  • Engine: 6.6 olds 403
  • Transmission: Turbohydromatic 400

Posted 06 February 2010 - 07:49 PM

Sometimes a bad alternator diode can cause a battery to run down. A good diode should only pass current in one direction. If it leaks current in the opposite direction, it may keep the charging circuit on when the engine is not running, causing the battery to run down. This kind of problem can be diagnosed several ways. If your voltmeter has an AC (alternating current) scale, switch to that scale and observe the charging voltage with the engine running. If the meter shows any AC voltage, one or more diodes are leaking and the alternator needs to be replaced. Or, just disconnect the alternator overnight and see if the battery stills run down. If the battery drain stops, you have found the problem. Replace the alternator. Keep us posted on your progress.
Posted Image

#5 User is offline   wolfman 

• Pip

Posted 15 February 2010 - 09:40 PM

View Post79/6.6, on 06 February 2010 - 07:49 PM, said:

Sometimes a bad alternator diode can cause a battery to run down. A good diode should only pass current in one direction. If it leaks current in the opposite direction, it may keep the charging circuit on when the engine is not running, causing the battery to run down. This kind of problem can be diagnosed several ways. If your voltmeter has an AC (alternating current) scale, switch to that scale and observe the charging voltage with the engine running. If the meter shows any AC voltage, one or more diodes are leaking and the alternator needs to be replaced. Or, just disconnect the alternator overnight and see if the battery stills run down. If the battery drain stops, you have found the problem. Replace the alternator. Keep us posted on your progress.

I had tried the alternator before. I had a meter hooked up to the negative battery cable in such a way as to bridge the gap between the cable and battery. The drain was still there with the alt disconnected. The weather has once again gone foul, and my back is also out, preventing me from even considering crawling under the car.http://www.firebirdnation.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/crybaby.gif

#6 User is offline   wolfman 

• Pip

Posted 27 March 2010 - 08:11 AM

My battery drain problem is solved. In my case, I actually had a defective METER, and it was giving me bad results. I did end up replacing the alternator as I had observed some signs of the rectifier beginning to get weak. My problem was actually in the battery cable, preventing the car from properly charging in the first place. The car has now sat for two days, and battery state of charge is still at 95%. I'm letting the car sit without being started for a solid week while I monitor battery S.O.C. to insure that the car will sit without dying. A new multimeter shows only a tiny amount of drain consistent with holding the memory in the ECM, Radio, and security system. All I'm waiting for now, is a new fog light switch to arrive so I can put the dash bezel back together. I'm finally seeing the light at the end of a very long tunnel on getting this car up to snuff. :hystlaugh:

This post has been edited by wolfman: 27 March 2010 - 08:11 AM

#7 User is offline   1993TransAm 

• DELCO NERD
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrator
  • First Name:Simon
  • City:Central Ohio Region
  • State or Province:OH
  • Interests:Firebirds, Pontiacs, Oldsmobiles, E-bodies, W-bodies, professional automotive repair, automotive electronics and audio, body work, upholstery, detailing, weightlifting, NASCAR, baseball, football, heavy metal, big 80s hair/sweet mullets, and first and foremost my wife, family, friends, and the Almighty God.
  • Year: 1993
  • Model: Firebird Trans Am
  • Engine: 5.7L LT1 OHV V8
  • Transmission: 4L60

Posted 27 March 2010 - 02:34 PM

Congrats, Bryan! Amazing what a stupid defective meter can cause, eh?
"Simon, you finally moved on from those punk-a** V6s and turbo 4-cylinder cars." -- Mike R.
THERE IS NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT.
1993 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am..."Abygail"...Black...5.7L LT1 OHV V8...4L60
U1A CD player, '02 Firebird Monsoon Amplifier (12 speakers!), HUD, '91 Grand Prix UK3/NP5 steering wheel, SiriusXM, etc.
1992 Pontiac Richard Petty Special Edition Grand Prix SE..."Robbyn"...Neon Blue Metallic...3.4L LQ1 DOHC V6...4T60E
UB3 digital cluster, UP3 CD player, 10-disc changer, DIC, HUD, AQ9s, SGS switch, Firebird Monsoon amplifier (10 speakers!), etc.
1995 Pontiac Grand Am SE..."Missy"...Bright Aqua Metallic...3.1L L82 OHV V6...4T60E
Firebird UW2 amplifier, sail panel tweeters (8 speakers), Firebird Monsoon CD player, UK3/NP5 steering wheel, GT tail lights, GT exhaust, etc.
1992 Oldsmobile Toronado Troféo..."Norma"...Light Driftwood Metallic...3.8L L27 OHV V6...4T60E
Delco cassette player, Remote CD player, Olds Alero UQ3 amplifier coming???
1992 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL..."Stormi"...Bright Red...3.1L LH0 OHV V6...4T60
UB3 digital cluster, UQ3 amplifier, Audio Bass Control slider, UK3/NP5 steering wheel, U1C CD player, Driver Information System, leather AQ9s, etc.

1992 Buick Riviera..."Josephine"...Sapphire Blue Firemist...3.8L L27 OHV V6...4T60E
Delco cassette player, Remote CD player, Buick Century Monsoon amplifier coming???

1988 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz..."Emma"...White...4.5L LR6 OHV V8...440-T4
Delco/Bose Gold Series CD player!!!!! N-Body Monsoon configuration in the works...gonna bang!
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34..."Summer"...Medium Maui Blue Metallic...3.4L LQ1 DOHC V6...4T60E
Not pictured - Delco CD player, Chevy Camaro Monsoon amp coming???

WANTED: 1990 CHEVROLET BERETTA INDY..."Brittany"
WANTED: 1989 BUICK REATTA..."Melissa"
"NERDS? I MAKE NERDS JEALOUS. NERDS THINK ABOUT THE THINGS THAT I DO."
Posted Image

#8 User is offline   wolfman 

• Pip

Posted 07 April 2010 - 11:26 AM

View Post1993TransAm, on 27 March 2010 - 02:34 PM, said:

Congrats, Bryan! Amazing what a stupid defective meter can cause, eh?

No kidding. That damn thing had me tear the car nearly apart looking for a non existent short.

#9 User is offline   FSTLS1TA 

• FBN Master Technician
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • First Name:John
  • City:Lafayette
  • State or Province:LA
  • Interests:Just working on cars and taking care of my daughters.
  • Year: 2000
  • Engine: LS1 Owns You
  • Transmission: Manual T56 6 Speed

Posted 07 April 2010 - 02:51 PM

Yep sometimes it is just the little things that cause big problems.
Sold but not forgotten. 443rwhp/411rwtq, 12.11 at 115.57mph, 5% Black Tint all the way around, Black C6 Z06 Deep Dish Corvette Rims, Ventslide Black Taillight Covers, Pacesetter LT Headers with TSP Rumbler Exhaust, SLP Airlid with Holley Powershot Airfilter, SLP Smooth Bellow, Tuned By Ragin Racin, Descreened MAF EGR/AIR Delete, No CATS, BMR Subframe Connectors, Eibach Lowering Springs, SLP Bilstein Struts on the front, Comp Drag Shocks on the rear, UMI Lower Control Arms, UMI Panhard Bar, UMI Adjustable Torque Arm w. Driveshaft Safteyloop, Pro 5.0 Shifter with a Lou's Short Stick, SLP Line Lock, Powerslot Double Drilled and Slotted Rotors, LS7 Clutch with LS2 Flywheel, Mcloed Adjustable Master Cylinder,Taylor 10.4mm Race Wires, LS6 Intake and PP 85mm Throttle Body, Track Rims & Tires(Rear Weld Rims and M/T ET Streets, Front Summitracing Sports and Nexas Skinnies), PRC 5.3L Stage 2.5 CNC Ported Heads, ARP Head and Cam Bolts, Torquer V2 Cam, 37lb Fuel Injectors, LS7 Lifters, Harden Pushrods,Yella Terra Roller Rockers, JP LS2 Timing Chain, Ported LS6 Oil Pump, LS6 PCV System. Moser 9 Inch Rearend with 4.11 gears 31 Spline Axles and Detroit Tru-Trac Posi Unit.

Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users