Firebird Nation: how do i set the timing, pontiac 455 - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

how do i set the timing, pontiac 455 i changed headgaskets now i cant get the timing right Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   96TA 

• just another car guy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • Group: Full Member
  • First Name:Albert
  • City:Port Saint Lucie
  • State or Province:FL
  • Interests:family, cars, racing
  • Year: 1996
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Trans-Am
  • Engine: LT1
  • Transmission: 6 Speed

Posted 21 August 2009 - 12:47 PM

first let me thank you in advance, thank you.

i have a pontiac 455 that i just changed the headgaskets on. the engine does not have a timing marker on it( never did). i need to know if someone knows what side of the balancer it is supposed to be on and where the mark on the balancer is supposed to point at TDC, and also please confirm that the firing order is 18436572 but it goes counter-clockwise..

problem area 2.. i am getting some lifter tap on a couple of cylinders, if someone has the procedures that would be alot of help.. i used the method of

With the engine at TDC on #1 cylinder you can properly adjust the following valves after lubricating the rocker ball, valve stem, and pushrod contact point:
INTAKE 1 2 5 7
EXHAUST 1 3 4 8

With the engine at TDC on #6 cylinder you can adjust the following valves after lubricating the rocker ball, valve stem, and pushrod contact point:
INTAKE 3 4 6 8
EXHAUST 2 5 6 7

but for some reason the #3 exhaust valve bottomed out before the pushrod got tight..
thanks for any and all assistance
Albert
Albert
Treasure Coast, FL
Remember there is always someone who needs the parts you send to the junkyard
Membership is what helps sites like ours succeed, SIGN UP TODAY!!
Membership Details can be found here: http://www.firebirdnation.com/club/

Posted Image
96 TRANS AM - SLP ceramic coated shorty headers, Flowmaster exhaust, SLP intake going in the bumper under the driverside light, Short throw shifter, Honeycomb tailights, Corvette styled 5 spoke rims with 315/35/17 Sumitomo rears 245/45/17 Fuzion HTI front tires, Drilled and slotted rotors front and rear, Accel optispark, Skip-shift eliminator, more to come...

1975 Trans Am SOLD -& MISSED -- THE 75 MOD LIST - C.E. SUBFRAME CONNECTORS, EIBACH LOWERING SPRINGS FRONT, 3 WAY ADJUSTABLE SHOCKS ALL AROUND, ENERGY SUSPENSION FROM FRONT TO BACK, FLOWMASTER SUPPER 44 x2, LONG TUBE HEADERS, JEGS 3" EXHAUST PIPES, RUSSLES BRAIDED BRAKE HOSES FRONT AND BACK, TCI STREET FIGHTER 400 TRANNY WITH 2200 STALL CONVERTER, NEW WIRING, AND MORE TO COME

THE 95 TRANS AM SOLD BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

#2 User is offline   WarbirdTA 

• Firebird Master Tech.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • First Name:George
  • City:Kingman, AZ.
  • State or Province:AZ
  • Interests:Blondes, surfing, Trans Ams, guns.
    Did I say Blondes?
  • Year: 1989
  • Model: Trans Am
  • Engine: 231
  • Transmission: 200R4

Posted 21 August 2009 - 03:21 PM

The balancer should only go on one way, with the grove.
The mark should be towards the engine's passenger side of the car.
If you didn't turn the engine after removing the old balancer, the new one will go in the same position.
As for timing it, you should have a timing mark somewhere on the timing chain cover.
If it's not molded in, it should have a piece that bolts on the timing chain cover.
You need to get one, to time it right, by yourself.
I would imagine that a tuning shop could do it with their big dyno machine (not a dyno that tells you horsepower).
Did you remove the distributor at all?
Can't help you with the pushrods.

Hope this helps somewhat,

George
Posted Image

Go to the top of the food chain, and run wild!

#3 User is offline   72 blackbird 

• Firebird Master Tech.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • Group: Account Disabled
  • State or Province:AL

Posted 21 August 2009 - 03:22 PM

75TA,
The later timing cover is supposed to have a bolt-on tab to allow you to set timing- I'd switch over to the timing cover w/ a cast-in timing pointer no.482883. You're also correct on the firing order for Pontiac V-8's- it's counterclockwise.

What kind of cam and rockers are you using? What heads are you running on your 455?

Geno

#4 User is offline   mr71transam 

• Firebird Master Tech.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • First Name:Richard
  • State or Province:MA
  • Year: 1971
  • Engine: 455HO
  • Transmission: TH400

Posted 21 August 2009 - 04:11 PM

75TA, on 21 August 2009 - 12:47 PM, said:

With the engine at TDC on #1 cylinder you can properly adjust the following valves after lubricating the rocker ball, valve stem, and pushrod contact point:
INTAKE 1 2 5 7
EXHAUST 1 3 4 8

With the engine at TDC on #6 cylinder you can adjust the following valves after lubricating the rocker ball, valve stem, and pushrod contact point:
INTAKE 3 4 6 8
EXHAUST 2 5 6 7

Albert

Albert I have used this procedures meany times. I would strongly suggest that if replace the acorn nuts that you use to ajust values.

#5 User is offline   96TA 

• just another car guy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery

Posted 22 August 2009 - 07:10 AM

WarbirdTA, on 21 August 2009 - 03:21 PM, said:

The balancer should only go on one way, with the grove.
The mark should be towards the engine's passenger side of the car.
If you didn't turn the engine after removing the old balancer, the new one will go in the same position.
As for timing it, you should have a timing mark somewhere on the timing chain cover.
If it's not molded in, it should have a piece that bolts on the timing chain cover.
You need to get one, to time it right, by yourself.
I would imagine that a tuning shop could do it with their big dyno machine (not a dyno that tells you horsepower).
Did you remove the distributor at all?
Can't help you with the pushrods.

Hope this helps somewhat,

George

thanks George, that was very helpful. and yes i took the distributor out but i have done that in the past and have not had this problem. when the engine is running i can hear a miss but i hear it out of the carburator, it will run fine for about 30 seconds and then it starts to miss and then it backfires and shuts off, like the timing just went out by 90 degrees and then it will start back up and repeat. if i give it gas then it makes a popping sound and when you let it idle it does the above..
Albert
Treasure Coast, FL

Posted Image
96 TRANS AM - SLP ceramic coated shorty headers, Flowmaster exhaust, SLP intake going in the bumper under the driverside light, Short throw shifter, Honeycomb tailights, Corvette styled 5 spoke rims with 315/35/17 Sumitomo rears 245/45/17 Fuzion HTI front tires, Drilled and slotted rotors front and rear, Accel optispark, Skip-shift eliminator, more to come...

1975 Trans Am SOLD -& MISSED -- THE 75 MOD LIST - C.E. SUBFRAME CONNECTORS, EIBACH LOWERING SPRINGS FRONT, 3 WAY ADJUSTABLE SHOCKS ALL AROUND, ENERGY SUSPENSION FROM FRONT TO BACK, FLOWMASTER SUPPER 44 x2, LONG TUBE HEADERS, JEGS 3" EXHAUST PIPES, RUSSLES BRAIDED BRAKE HOSES FRONT AND BACK, TCI STREET FIGHTER 400 TRANNY WITH 2200 STALL CONVERTER, NEW WIRING, AND MORE TO COME

#6 User is offline   96TA 

• just another car guy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery

Posted 22 August 2009 - 07:18 AM

72 blackbird, on 21 August 2009 - 03:22 PM, said:

75TA,
The later timing cover is supposed to have a bolt-on tab to allow you to set timing- I'd switch over to the timing cover w/ a cast-in timing pointer no.482883. You're also correct on the firing order for Pontiac V-8's- it's counterclockwise.

What kind of cam and rockers are you using? What heads are you running on your 455?

Geno

the cam was put in before i got it but from what i was told its a mild cam and when it was runnging before i took it apart it felt mild not real rough on the idle. as far as the rockers and lifters they are stock as far as i can tell... the timing cover does have those marks on it.... the heads are 6x if im not mistaken... does it actually matter where the number 1 is on the distributor??? i have tried it where it says to put it in the book and also where it says on this site...

thanks Geno
Albert
Treasure Coast, FL

Posted Image

#7 User is offline   96TA 

• just another car guy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery

Posted 22 August 2009 - 08:07 AM

mr71transam, on 21 August 2009 - 04:11 PM, said:

Albert I have used this procedures meany times. I would strongly suggest that if replace the acorn nuts that you use to ajust values.

i checked the fuel pressure and its about 7 psi, i will tear down the valve train and see if there are any bent push rods or nuts backed off too far, thanks
Albert
Treasure Coast, FL

Posted Image

#8 User is offline   mr71transam 

• Firebird Master Tech.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 August 2009 - 10:15 AM

Albert this is a link to the procedure I use to adjust my Valves. http://www.pontiacst...sp/rockers.html

#9 User is offline   72 blackbird 

• Firebird Master Tech.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • State or Province:AL

Posted 22 August 2009 - 02:19 PM

Albert,
A 455 w/ 6x heads is a good combo, but at 9.2-9.5:1 CR you'll need to run 91-93 octane. Since you're unsure about what kind of cam you're running I'd consider running a cam that will take advantage of the higher CR and not build up too much dynamic compression at lower rpms. A Crower 60243 (284/290 dur., .456/.468 lift, 228/235 dur. @.050) will work well, especially if you run headers and a 2 1/2" dual exhaust.

I recommend switching to an adjustable valvetrain- if adjusted properly it will be much easier on your rockers, pushrods, and lifters. Your 6x heads have screw-in studs, so all you would need are polylocks. I would also run full roller rockers if your budget can afford it as well.

Is your engine out of the car or still in? I find it easier to do a cam swap with the engine out and on a stand. It also makes adjusting the valvetrain very simple. The simplest method I've found to set initial timing is to pull all of the spark plugs out and rotate the engine until no.1 cylinder is at TDC, and then drop the dist. in with the rotor pointing exactly at no. 1 cylinder. Install the plugs, cap, and wires, being cafeful not to crosswire any cylinders. If the motor doesn't fire immediately rotate the distributor slightly and try again.

Geno

#10 User is offline   96TA 

• just another car guy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery

Posted 28 August 2009 - 08:13 AM

hey thanks to all who has helped me.. i found the problem, thank you mr 71transam, when i pulled the valve cover off i took the rocker nut off with my hand and there was several more like that too, i would have been lost if it were not for that advice because i had never had that happen before. i ordered new ones and will have them on sometime this weekend and will let you know how it worked out.. thanks again to everyone on this site
Albert
Treasure Coast, FL

Posted Image

#11 User is offline   mr71transam 

• Firebird Master Tech.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip