Firebird Nation banner

78 firebird lowering options

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Rocker76 
#1 ·
well, im looking for options on tightening up the suspension of this bird for some road racing. my last car was a bmw, and even though i hate everything euro, i did coilovers, dampeners, and stability bars as well as solid mounts and that thing handled like a god, which is really what im about. considering i already have a nice power house in my car, most of my cash is going into suspension and brakes. now, she has full subframe connectors right now but i was wondering how i could drop its center of gravity, and really make it stiff. i have no idea what options are out there for this car so your help is greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
I have heard of some people removing the body mount bushings and mounting the subframe straight to the body lowering the car the thick SSS of the bushings as well as addi g rigidness and stiffness to your ride, mind you the motor will sit higher and may have an issue with the shaker fitting properly, im still doing research on it as I'm debating on doing this for my 79.

#3 ·
My 2 cents. I lowered my '76 Formula decades ago and all it ever gave me was rubbing tires and harsh ride. I did it by having the stock coils taken out and cut with a cutting torch. I guess I liked the look at the time but I came to just grow really really sick and tired of it. I recently got new front coils from HO racing (huge spring diameter .75 inch same as a pickup truck!) and brought the car back to a great height. Handles great. I am still hearing rubbing but now I think it's from the rear leaf springs sagging because I see the cut marks on the rear tires from the rear fender lip so I am looking in to new rear leaf springs.

Bottom line. my suggestion is don't lower the car, just get the look you want with tires. In any event, get the tires first.

As you already know, the sub frame connectors are extremely important and it's great you already did that. Most people never do. Years ago I also put in a huge front sway bar from HO racing 1 3/8 in and the the car has always cornered flat since then.

Keep in mind I'm not and never was an actual "road racer". I drag raced it for awhile before I built a "track only" 78 Trans Am. Just love these cars. Have a blast!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.